Subject: [ippm] Draft minutes

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 23:48:16 +0100

Hi all,

Please find the draft minutes below.  I fully admit that I'm pretty bad
at taking minutes so comments and additions are more than welcome.  Thanks
to Chris and Al for their notes.

Henk

- - - -

Minutes of the IPPM meeting.
============================

Date:    18/Nov/2008
Chair:   Henk Uijterwaal
Minutes: Notes were taken by Christopher J. White and Al Morton, then
          turned into minutes by Henk Uijterwaal.

1. Administrativia.
    Henk opened the meeting.  Matt Zekauskas sent his apologies as he had
    to be at another meeting.

2. Current work.

2.a. Status of Draft and Milestones.
    The TWAMP draft has been published as RFC 5357.  The traceroute draft
    has been cleared for publication and is in the RFC editor queue.  Three
    drafts passed WGLC (Duplicate, MultiMetrics and Packet DV AS).  These
    are waiting for a write-up by the chairs.  Unfortunately, the chairs
    didn't have as much time for IPPM work as they had hoped, so this hasn't
    happened even though it should.  They promised to do this in the coming
    weeks.

2.b.1. TWAMP extensions. (Al Morton).
    Draft-ietf-ippm-more-twamp-00.   OWAMP - errata - include "MUST" for
    matching modes.  This is a simple fix supported by the WG.  It can
    be taken to the list for WGLC.

2.b.2. TWAMP Reflect OCTETS Feature (Al Morton)
    Al presented the draft.
    Open question: consider change the structure of the TWAMP structure
     to TLV type structure to make it more extensible.

    Questions from the floor: Roman Kraznowski said he had some things he'd
    like to add.  He'd post to the list.

    Kaynam Hedayat asked if the extensions backward are compatible?  Al
    answered, Yes, no problem on either the server or client

2.b.3. TWAMP Features - Individual Session Control
   Al Morton presented the draft and will take the proposal to the list
   to see if there is interest.

2.b.4. TWAMP TLS (Al)
   Al presented the draft.  The open question is if TLS will provide better
   security than the present mechanism.  Walt Stevenson commented that he
   does not see this.  The security community has a preference for TLS but
   so-far, they haven't pointed out why.

   The chair will take this question to the list, if there isn't sufficient
   feedback, it will be dropped.

2.c. Reporting Draft
   None of the authors were in the room to present the draft.  The chair
   will ask the list if there is interest to continue to this effort.

   Comment by Al Morton - scope renamed to implications for long term reporting,
   scope was initially very short term, and should remain short.

2.d.  Composition
   Al Morton gave a brief overview of the draft.  Roman Kraznowski and Yakov
   Stein voluntered to read the draft.  After that, Al thinks it is finished.

   Questions from the flow.
   * Roman K: Forum 2 years back of how to provide metrics for
     intercontinental, he would provide a reference to work by Kevin Mason.
   * Roman K: Asked about other temporal / spatial aggregation
     drafts as they are important for SLAs.  Al answered that this is a
     framework draft, with the details in other drafts.
   * Yakov Stein said that spatial aggregation is difficult problem
     mathematically

3. Future work.
    Henk gave a brief overview of the new charter.  He had received some
    comments by mail and will send out a new version shortly after the
    meeting.   Comments from the floor:

    * Lars Eggert: Recharter incrementally, add small number of things
      at a time, rather than large recharting adding multiple things.
    * Lars: Passive measurements are the most complex, with only a few
      people interested.  Perhaps this should be dropped.
    * Henk said that there was interested in versions of the IPPM
      metrics for passive measurements from IPFIX in the past.  Brian
      Tremmel commented that there was currently no active interest.

    Possible new drafts:
    * New Network Layer Metrics for Packet Loss, Delay, Delay Variation.
      Nick Duffield briefly gave a reminder of work shown earlier.
    * Comments:
      Al Morton: Delay quantiles are a good thing to estimate, but RFC3550
       is a good relative measure but not worth pursuing a detailed
       statistical pursuit of relative jitter
      Henk if the goal is standardization then we should get authors from
       other groups active in this field.  Reference to their work was in
       the slides. Nick agreed.
      Henk said that this can be picked up as part of the new charter.  This
       requires the new charter to be approved first.

4. AOB
   Al Morton: consider liasons to other groups to help with problem
   areas.  Take more active role to make sure IPPM is understood
   properly elsewhere.  The chair agreed and asked everybody to report
   if they see areas where our metrics are being used and support with
   the interpretation can be useful.

5. The chair then closed the meeting and hoped to see everybody at the
    next meeting or on the mailing list.

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.amsterdamned.org/~henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ceterum censeo Asplain esse delendam  (Cato & Henk)
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm