Subject: [ippm] Question on Reflect Octets Draft

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:41:05 -0400

Another TWAMP feature Question for IPPM,

Len Ciavattone and I would like to hear any comments

on the proposal to revise the test packet format

as part of the Reflect Octets feature.

The draft

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-reflect-octets-01

and the slides

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/09mar/slides/ippm-2/ippm-2_files/v3_document.htm

describe what is proposed.

The benefits of using the new test packet format we concocted
are:

- the problem with asymmetrical sizes of test packets sent in

different directions is solved.

- the generation of the Reflector to Sender packet is
simplified

by shuffling the position of some fields.

This would be an optional feature, which removes the need to

do some complicated padding truncation operations as described

in the draft (needed if we don't adopt this or other new
format).

Let us know whet you think,

Al and Len

---

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:47:33 +0200

IPPM group,

> Let us know whet you think,

As with the other question from Al, please give your opinion in the next
3 weeks.

Henk

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.xs4all.nl/~henku
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Belgium: an unsolvable problem, discussed in endless meetings, with no
          hope for a solution, where everybody still lives happily.