Subject: [ippm] I-D Action:draft-ietf-ippm-tcp-throughput-tm-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:15:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : TCP Throughput Testing Methodology
	Author(s)       : B. Constantine, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ippm-tcp-throughput-tm-05.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2010-08-13

This memo describes a methodology for measuring sustained TCP 
throughput performance in an end-to-end managed network environment.  
This memo is intended to provide a practical approach to help users 
validate the TCP layer performance of a managed network, which should 
provide a better indication of end-user application level experience.  
In the methodology, various TCP and network parameters are identified 
that should be tested as part of the network verification at the TCP 
layer.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-tcp-throughput-tm-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Barry Constantine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:36:27 -0700

Hello All,

I was not able to attend the Maastricht session, but listened to the audio stream and jabbered.

There was also some very good comments made through some emails right afterward.

The summary of revisions present in the version -05 are:

-	Clearly defined the configurable TCP and network parameters that are    
      the core target of this methodology
-	Bi-directional (in addition to uni-directional) testing is discussed
-	Specified how multiple retransmitted bytes are to be computed in the 
      TCP Efficiency metric
-	Discussed the implications of using dedicated test equipment versus 
      standard computers to compute the TCP Efficiency metric (detecting 
      retransmissions)
-	Added the concept of a normalized TCP Transfer Time ratio (Actual / 
      Ideal)
-	Expanded upon the relationship of TCP Transfer Time and TCP Efficiency
-	Generalized the Layer 2/3 "pre-test" techniques to satisfy concerns of 
      the reference to RFC2544

Thanks,
Barry