Subject: [ippm] Looking for better terminology for Model Based Metrics

From: Matt Mathis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 15:57:31 -0700

Model Based Metrics  over uses the term "test", and I am having
troubles finding an alternative that I am like.   I am currently using
"a single property test", which has a pass/fail/inconclusive result.

In medicine a "diagnostic (test)" is generally for the presence of an
adverse condition.  e.g. you do not want to hear "your diabetes test
was positive".  Although it is binary, the sense is inverted.  Using
the same pattern for MBM would require that tests identified by the
failure condition e.g. " a diagnostic test to detect insufficient
buffer space," and a positive test result would indicate a failure...

Further complicating the issue the word "diagnose" means to identify
the underlying problem.  This is generally true for communications and
networking diagnostics: they indicate why something failed - the
results are not binary.  (In medicine diagnostics are generally used
to eliminate possible causes of a symptom, and less likely to indicate
why).

Other phrases, such as acceptance tests, have specific (and clashing)
meanings in some contexts.

Suggestions anybody?

Thanks,
--MM--
The best way to predict the future is to create it.  - Alan Kay

Privacy matters!  We know from recent events that people are using our
services to speak in defiance of unjust governments.   We treat
privacy and security as matters of life and death, because for some
users, they are.