Subject: [ippm] Question about Ethertypes

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 10:46:19 +0100

Brian mentioned talking to Erik Nordmark about a request for an Ethertype
in today's session. It's also worth letting the ieee-ietf-coord activity
know about this (which Mirja can do, since she's a member of that IAB
activity).

That way, the request gets tracked by leadership in both IEEE and IETF.

The web page for that activity is at
https://www.iab.org/activities/joint-activities/iab-ieee-coordination/.

Spencer

---

From: "Brian Trammell (IETF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 10:54:05 +0100

hi Spencer,

thanks for the pointers!

Also relevant to this discussion,

https://www.ietf.org/blog/iesg-statement-ethertypes/ which implies (based on IEEE policy) that any work on this will need to use a sandbox ethertype until publication of the relevant RFC is imminent.

Cheers,

Brian

> On 25 Mar 2019, at 10:46, Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Brian mentioned talking to Erik Nordmark about a request for an Ethertype in today's session. It's also worth letting the ieee-ietf-coord activity know about this (which Mirja can do, since she's a member of that IAB activity).
> 
> The web page for that activity is at https://www.iab.org/activities/joint-activities/iab-ieee-coordination/.
> 
> Spencer
> _______________________________________________
> ippm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: "Frank Brockners (fbrockne)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 09:56:47 +0000

Thanks Spencer. From what I know, Brian Weis (the primary author) already drove some discussions post the IETF 103 in BKK.
Brian, could you fill in the WG in on the latest status?

Thanks, Frank

From: ippm <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Spencer Dawkins at IETF
Sent: Montag, 25. März 2019 10:46
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ippm] Question about Ethertypes

Spencer

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 00:03:43 +0100

Hi, Brian,

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019, 10:54 Brian Trammell (IETF) <[email-masked]> wrote:

> https://www.ietf.org/blog/iesg-statement-ethertypes/ which implies (based
> on IEEE policy) that any work on this will need to use a sandbox ethertype
> until publication of the relevant RFC is imminent.
>

Cool! I know a bit about Ethertype allocation from my time on the IAB and
in the ieee802-ietf-coord activity, but I've never actually needed to
request one.

Cheers,
> > Brian mentioned talking to Erik Nordmark about a request for an
> Ethertype in today's session. It's also worth letting the ieee-ietf-coord
> activity know about this (which Mirja can do, since she's a member of that
> IAB activity).
> >