Subject: [ippm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-responsiveness-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 11:22:18 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Measurement WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Responsiveness under Working Conditions
        Authors         : Christoph Paasch
                          Randall Meyer
                          Stuart Cheshire
                          Omer Shapira
                          Matt Mathis
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ippm-responsiveness-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2022-03-07

Abstract:
   For many years, a lack of responsiveness, variously called lag,
   latency, or bufferbloat, has been recognized as an unfortunate, but
   common symptom in today's networks.  Even after a decade of work on
   standardizing technical solutions, it remains a common problem for
   the end users.

   Everyone "knows" that it is "normal" for a video conference to have
   problems when somebody else at home is watching a 4K movie or
   uploading photos from their phone.  However, there is no technical
   reason for this to be the case.  In fact, various queue management
   solutions (fq_codel, cake, PIE) have solved the problem.

   Our networks remain unresponsive, not from a lack of technical
   solutions, but rather a lack of awareness of the problem.  We believe
   that creating a tool whose measurement matches people's every day
   experience will create the necessary awareness, and result in a
   demand for products that solve the problem.

   This document specifies the "RPM Test" for measuring responsiveness.
   It uses common protocols and mechanisms to measure user experience
   especially when the network is under working conditions.  The
   measurement is expressed as "Round-trips Per Minute" (RPM) and should
   be included with throughput (up and down) and idle latency as
   critical indicators of network quality.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-responsiveness/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-ippm-responsiveness-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts