Subject: RE: patents && standards

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:11:41 -0500

> Keith Moore writes:
>  > > Patent holders know that even though the IETF is extremely reluctant
>  > > to put patented technology into a standard, the IETF WILL put their
>  > > patent into a standard.
>  > 
>  > no they don't know that.  they know it is a slim possibility, and  that
it's
>  > highly unlikely to happen unlesss there's no other way to solve the
problem.
> 
> Keith, if something is not true, then the logical negation must be
> true.

Be careful.  "All cars are red" is "not true".  But "All cars are not
red" is also "not true".  Whether a car is red is true or false on a
case by case basis, ditto whether IETF will allow patented technology
into a standard.  I second Carsten's suggestion to review a basic
textbook on first order logic, specifically NOT [For All x] P(x) does
not imply [For All x] NOT P(x) .

> Is "Patent holders know that the IETF WILL NOT put their patent
> into a standard" true?

No, and it's negation is "There are circumstances in which the IETF WILL
put their patent into a standard", which is considerably weaker than
"even though the IETF is extremely reluctant to put patented technology
into a standard, the IETF WILL put their patent into a standard" because
the latter implies that an arbitrary patent holder can rely on the IETF
putting their specific patent into a standard, which is definitely false.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg