Subject: RE: "Hum" -- should we recharter now?

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:19:03 +0100

> The very simple question I'm posing is this:
> 
> 	Should the IPR working group recharter at this time to devise
> 	a substantially new IPR policy?
> 
No

 Bert
_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: Markus Levlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:09:51 +0200 (EET)

> 	a substantially new IPR policy?

No. The current system works well. Making meaningful and effective changes
sufficient to satisfy the calls for RF-only would require changes not just
to the policy, but also substantial changes to the working methods and
structure of the IETF.  That would be a high price indeed.

While this question leaves aside some nuances and some other questions
that could have been asked, this question is on the spot with what the
most posters criticizing or having doubts with the current policy,
especially the most vocal ones, have been proposing. Therefore, I do not
view the presentation of exactly this question as heavy-handed tactics (as
some folks opined) but rather as directly addressing the main topic.

The I-D route is always open to those with opposite opinions. Referring to
that route is not forcing anyone to solitary confinement. That is simply
the way the IETF works.

Markus Levlin