Subject: Okay, I give

From: Russell Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:11:50 -0500

Okay, I give.  I see that it's going to be impossible to get the IETF
to change in this WG, or maybe in any conceivable WG.  I contend that
to the extent that the IETF allows patents into its standard, the IETF
will become increasingly irrelevant in the world of open source
software.  Some people are saying that we must change the IETF
otherwise we will not be able to implement the IETF's standards.  I
think it's the other way around.  I think the IETF must change
otherwise the IETF's standards will not be implementable by the vast
majority of implementors.

There are de-jure and de-facto standards, and information flows freely
betweeen the two.  Open source is a de-facto standard which either
will or won't flow into the IETF's de-jure standards.  Trying to force
the issue is a fruitless waste of my and your time.

I'd change my 'hum' to "No", but the consensus doesn't require it.

-- 
-russ nelson   angry-economist.russnelson.com   | If war is the answer, the
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | the question must be truly
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | horrific.
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | 
_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg