Subject: RE: "hum" in San Francisco against rechartering

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:42:03 -0500

> For some folks, this seems like a good reason for recusing from such
> decisions, as it's supposedly difficult to be inpartial if you're too
> deeply involved in the IPR mess.

I strongly disagree with the implication that those "involved in the IPR
mess" should disqualify themselves.  Preventing participation of those
with experience, knowledge and expertise in an area is rather contrary
to IETF culture and practice.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: "Lawrence E. Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 18:49:57 -0800

> I strongly disagree with the implication that those "involved 
> in the IPR mess" should disqualify themselves.  Preventing 
> participation of those with experience, knowledge and 
> expertise in an area is rather contrary to IETF culture and practice.

Just in case, I want to disassociate myself from any suggestion that
anyone now involved in IETF should disqualify themselves from
participating in creating a new patent policy simply because they might
have one position or another, or represent one position or another.  I
am in favor of a public debate on how the IETF charter should be changed
to better represent the realities of software and business method
patents in a world that includes open source software.  Nobody with
"experience, knowledge and expertise" should be prevented from
participating. 

And when there's finally a vote, who or what does each vote represent?
Everyone gets one vote?  Does Cisco get more than one vote?  Does IBM
get more than one vote?  

/Larry Rosen

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 18:38:59 -0800

apologies for seeming snide....

--On 17. mars 2003 18:49 -0800 "Lawrence E. Rosen" <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> patents in a world that includes open source software.

If you find a document called "the IETF charter", please tell me.
Otherwise, it would be nice if you were more specific on what you refer t.

> Nobody with

The IETF does not vote.
The position of each person who states an opinion on the mailing list forms 
part of the mailing list consensus (or lack thereof).