Subject: RE: not broken?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:06:47 -0500

> 1) Go to http://www.ietf.org/ipr/
> 2) Choose a disclosure.
> 3) See if it offers RF terms.  If so, pick another.
> 4) Find an open source implementation of the standard (if there is
> one).
> 5) Go to the maintainer of the software and say "Do you realize that
> Well-Funded IPR-holder claims that your software infringes 
> their patent?"

Somewhere between steps 3) and 4), this algorithm assumes that every
disclosed claim is valid and applicable to all implementations.  That's
not always the case, as the IPR page says:

	The IESG/IETF take no position regarding the validity or scope of
	any intellectual property right or other rights that might be
	claimed to pertain to the implementation or use of the technology,
	or the extent to which any license under such rights might or might
	not be available.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: "George Willingmyre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:43:19 -0500

maybe an  illustration of David's point?

European Commission Precedent July 2002 to  contribute an opinion
challenging  an IPR holder's claim of essential IPR for an ETSI standard
http://www.gtwassociates.com/answers/CommissionETSI.htm

George T. Willingmyre, P.E.
President
GTW Associates
1012 Parrs Ridge Drive
Spencerville, MD 20868  USA
301.421.4138  fax 301.421.0977
http://www.gtwassociates.com