Subject: RE: Rechartering to focus on problem

From: "Allen Lo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:30:18 -0800

I agree with these points.  That's why I believe it would be worthwhile
to focus on identifying what the problems are so that the WG can
evaluate whether a change is appropriate and what the change should be.
The ability (or inability) of vendors to implement standards in products
because of IPR encumberances should be of interest to the IETF
(standards aren't so valuable if vendors can't implement), but
unfortunately this often does not feedback into the WGs because the WGs
have completed the standards work.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joel M. Halpern [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 10:27 AM
> To: Russell Nelson; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: Rechartering to focus on problem
> 
> 
> It seems rather odd to propose a major change to the policies 
> and practices 
> of the IETF without a clear demonstration of an actual problem.
> It seems very odd to propose adopting a major change without actual 
> evidence that it will fix any real problem.
_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 05:06:45 +0100

Such an evaluation would indeed be interesting, after we exercise
the freshly clarified procedures for a year or so. Any evaluation 
made now would refer to "pure RFC 2026", which some people found 
unclear. We would be measuring the past, not the present.

   Brian