Subject: comment on template

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:28:06 -0400 (EDT)

I just noticed this at the start of the template:
   This document is an IETF Patent Disclosure and Licensing Declaration
   Template and is submitted to inform the IETF of a) patent information
   regarding the IETF document or contribution listed in Section IV, and
   b) a Patent Holder's intention with respect to the licensing of its
   necessary patent claims upon approval by the IESG for publication as
   an RFC of the relevant IETF specification.

I think that the text about "approval by the IESG" should come out of here
I know its in -technology and maybe it should come out of there but
it is referring to the IETF ExDir doing someting in -technology - having
the text here implies that this is the way that all licenses would
be done and I'm not sure its a good idea to make that assumption or 
to limit the options - 

an individual IPR owner could make that limit that or they could say 
that anypone implementing the technology, even from an ID (which 
happens a lot these days) is covered (or that no one is covered)

so I suggest removing the limitation at least here and just having the
template talk about disclosing IPR and asking (but not demanding) terms -
maybe have a space in the licencing section for any text the discloser
wnats to add (like limiting to IESG approved RFCs)

Scott

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:38:46 +0300 (EEST)

> wnats to add (like limiting to IESG approved RFCs)

Thanks for bringing this up too.  This is an issue I've been raising 
repeatedly too :-)

We should do every reasonably thing to make the licensing *less* painful 
for the users and implementors.  Licensors *can* (and most are probably 
willing to) consider better terms than required (e.g., not having the 
licensing terms conditional on IESG approval of the spec) *especially* if 
we make it simple enough for them and spell out that it would be 
desirable.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings