Subject: Review of outbound-03: Minor issues

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 19:18:59 +0200

Hi!  I looked at outbound-03:

* Add 'ASN.1 schema' to the list of code-like components in the first
  paragraph of 6.3.

  Justification: ASN.1 schemas is commonly used in RFCs and they need to
  be extracted and put into implementations.  As far as I can tell,
  ASN.1 schemas are much more common than some of the other examples
  given.  Grepping for 'XML RelaxNG' in my local RFC archive results in
  no hits?

* Change 'classical programming code' to 'classical programming code
  (e.g., C code) or declarations (e.g., C header files)'.

  Justification: Right now the status of header files is unclear.  As
  Sam just pointed out, this causes problems for implementers.

* The document says:

    Additionally, the Trustees of the IETF Trust should define a
    textually representation to be included in an IETF contribution to
    indicate that a portion of the document is considered by the authors
    (and later the working group, and upon approval the IETF) to be
    code, and to be subject to the permissions granted to use code.

  I suggest to specify the markup in this document, to something like:

  '>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CODE<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<'
...
  '>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>END CODE<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<'

  Justification: The current text will lead to delays until people can
  start to use the markup.  Defining a markup is not complicated.

  If we are worried about not being able to easily change the markup
  later (which would cause confusion), it could be explained that the
  given markup is intended as the initial markup, and the Trustees can
  alter the definition if they so desire.

* The last sentence of section 6.4 doesn't parse as English to me.

/Simon

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:29:08 -0500

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 07:18:59PM +0200,
 Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 47 lines which said:

> Grepping for 'XML RelaxNG' in my local RFC archive results in no
> hits?

RFC 4287 and its friends, like RFC 4685.

---

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 00:30:17 +0200

> RFC 4287 and its friends, like RFC 4685.

Ah, indeed, thanks for the pointer.

/Simon