Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipr-3978-incoming-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 15:15:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Intellectual Property Rights Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Rights Contributors provide to the IETF Trust
	Author(s)	: S. Bradner, J. Contreras
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipr-3978-incoming-02.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2007-10-18
	
The IETF policies about rights in Contributions to the IETF are
   designed to ensure that such Contributions can be made available to
   the IETF and Internet communities while permitting the authors to
   retain as many rights as possible. This memo details the IETF
   policies on rights in Contributions to the IETF. It also describes
   the objectives that the policies are designed to meet.  This memo
   obsoletes RFC 3978 and 4748 and, with RFC 3979 and RFC xxx
   (-outgoing), replaces Section 10 of RFC 2026.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipr-3978-incoming-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-ipr-3978-incoming-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipr-3978-incoming-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: "Frank Ellermann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 18:19:25 +0200

> Filename : draft-ietf-ipr-3978-incoming-02.txt

In 1a (contributions) the definition includes:

| any IETF mailing list, including the IETF list itself,
| any working group or design team list, or any other
| list functioning under IETF auspices,

What exactly does that mean wrt "other lists" and their
owners / moderators ?  For examples see the list of
other lists <https://datatracker.ietf.org/list/nonwg/>

Especially:  Cosmogol.  AFAIK that was a pre-BoF list,
I'm not exactly sure what its status is at the moment.

EAI Design team.  That's a private list of some folks
in the EAI WG, it has no public archive at the moment.

xml2rfc is a list about the xml2rfc tool and document
format, what exactly need posters and the list owner
to know about IPR issues ?

The reason I ask is that some SPF folks were rather
skeptical when I proposed to submit "spf-discuss" to
the list of "other lists".

I _think_ that the IPR business for articles in the
"other lists" is in essence limited to "there's at
least one public archive" and "if you post a really
good idea it might be adopted in an IETF standard
later, even if you don't like how that's done."

Is that all, or do I miss something important ?  And
actually for articles posted on IETF lists incl. the
"other lists" the I-D doesn't state anything new, or
does it ?

 Frank

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:41:01 +0200

> other lists <https://datatracker.ietf.org/list/nonwg/>

That list is intended to act exactly as a list of such lists.

(specific, listed examples deleted).

> later, even if you don't like how that's done."

Nope, on both counts.
There is no requirement for a public archive, but any posting to any of 
those lists is a "contribution" under RFC 3978 rules, which means that IF 
someone uses something posted there in the IETF process, he can assume that 
the original poster has given permission to do so.

> "other lists" the I-D doesn't state anything new, or

It's not intended to say anything new in that area, no.

         Harald

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 08:23:41 +1300

> That list is intended to act exactly as a list of such lists.

Agreed, but the governing phrase is "under IETF auspices".
I'm sure that the list of lists isn't guaranteed to be
definitive.

One could ask whether we need a better definition of "auspices",
whose dictionary meaning is "kindly patronage and guidance".
Does it require any level of approval, and if so what?

    Brian

> those lists is a "contribution" under RFC 3978 rules, which means that 
> IF someone uses something posted there in the IETF process, he can 
> assume that the original poster has given permission to do so.
>