Subject: mirroring IDs

From: [email-masked] (Scott O. Bradner)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 05:20:55 -0400 (EDT)

from the Trust draft

> Licenses that are not Granted.  For the avoidance of doubt, and without limitation, the
> following licenses are not granted pursuant to this document:
> . . .
> ii.	any license to publish, display or distribute IETF Documents other than IETF RFCs
> (such as Internet-Drafts) outside the IETF Standards Process,

this current text in the Trust license would block the many ID mirror sites
1/ I do not recall any discussion that could support such a change in
   the basic way the IETF has worked for many years
2/ it aint gonna happen - (the mirrors will continue)

we do have a problem with other SDOs including copies of IDs in their
specifications (because they did not want to wait to refer to a RFC)
but trying to stop all copies of IDs is too broad a way to try to deal 
with this (quite real) problem

Scott
_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: Thierry Moreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 09:48:59 -0500

> with this (quite real) problem

I see the essence of your concern as a technical quality issue 
(reference to a draft specifications instead of the final RFC). The root 
cause is this other SDO's behavior.

Attempting to use copyright licenses to prevent sub-optimal references 
to a published draft is perhaps a ill-suited solution.

Admittedly, there is a difference between including a copy of a 
reference and referencing without copy, but the end-result in technical 
contents is identical.

I agree with your basic point: allowing on-line presence of expired IDs 
(e.g. mirroring) seems to be inescapable given the IETF foundation on 
open circulation of contributions.

Regards,

-- 

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.
9130 Place de Montgolfier
Montreal, Qc
Canada   H2M 2A1

Tel.: (514)385-5691
Fax:  (514)385-5900

web site: http://www.connotech.com
e-mail: [email-masked]