Subject: [IPsec] [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC7296 (6779)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 19:07:19 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been held for document update 
for RFC7296, "Internet Key Exchange Protocol Version 2 (IKEv2)". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6779

--------------------------------------
Status: Held for Document Update
Type: Editorial

Reported by: warren.wang <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2021-12-08
Held by: Benjamin Kaduk (IESG)

Section: 1.1.1

Original Text
-------------
   In this scenario, neither endpoint of the IP connection implements
   IPsec, but network nodes between them protect traffic for part of the
   way.  Protection is transparent to the endpoints, and depends on
   ordinary routing to send packets through the tunnel endpoints for
   processing.  Each endpoint would announce the set of addresses
   "behind" it, and packets would be sent in tunnel mode where the inner
   IP header would contain the IP addresses of the actual endpoints.

Corrected Text
--------------
   In this scenario, neither endpoint of the IP connection implements
   IPsec, but network nodes between them protect traffic for part of the
   way.  Protection is transparent to the endpoints, and depends on
   ordinary routing to send packets through the tunnel endpoints for
   processing.  Each tunnel endpoint would announce the set of addresses
   "behind" it, and packets would be sent in tunnel mode where the inner
   IP header would contain the IP addresses of the actual endpoints.

Notes
-----
"Each tunnel endpoint" will make it easy to understand which entity is announcing the set of addresses.

--------------------------------------
RFC7296 (draft-kivinen-ipsecme-ikev2-rfc5996bis-04)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Internet Key Exchange Protocol Version 2 (IKEv2)
Publication Date    : October 2014
Author(s)           : C. Kaufman, P. Hoffman, Y. Nir, P. Eronen, T. Kivinen
Category            : INTERNET STANDARD
Source              : IP Security Maintenance and Extensions
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG