Subject: WG Last Call for IPsec AH, ESP, ESN addendum for ISAKMP DOI

From: Karen Seo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:10:27 -0400

Folks,

We've made changes to address the concerns expressed by the folks 
listed below and sent them the proposed edits.  Once they've had a 
chance to review/approve the changes, we'll submit the revised drafts 
to the IETF internet drafts publisher.

	AH		Pekka Nikander
			David Black
			Russ Housley

	ESP		Russ Housley

	ESN Addendum 	David Black
			Russ Housley

We believe this is a complete list, but if we missed your feedback, 
please accept our apologies and resend your comments.

Thank you,
Karen

---

From: "George Hadjichristofi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 19:35:37 -0400

Hi,

I have a few questions with regards to the usage of keys.

After an IKE negotiation, what key is used to encrypt data between two
communicating entities?

Is it the SKEYID_e key derived during the IKE negotiation or is it the
shared/public key?

Thank you
George

***********************************************************
George C. Hadjichristofi
Graduate Student
Bradley Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Virginia Tech,Blacksburg,VA 24061,U.S.A
TEL:(540)-951-8936
***********************************************************

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:10:47 -0400

> Is it the SKEYID_e key derived during the IKE negotiation or is it the

SKEYID_e is used to encrypt subsequent data that is encoded using IKE.
Data encoded using ESP is encrypted using a key derived from SKEYID_d and
data from the quick mode exchange. The long term shared/public keys are
only used with a small amount of data at the beginning of the IKE
negotiation.

        --Charlie Kaufman