Subject: Fwd: Certicom IP Rights

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 03:48:39 -0400

Dear IPsec Working Group:

I just got this note, but I believe that it is related to US patent number 
6,563,928.

Certicom did give us warning that this was coming.  On  Monday, 20 July 
1998, Paul Lambert (who was VPl, Product Management at the time) wrote to 
the IPsec mail list on a thread dealing with "Patent & licence for 
IPSec."  Unfortunately, the thread was mostly about ECC, so this notice did 
not generate any discussion.  Paul said:

    "Some of the pending patents for secure implementations of public key
    technologies may also cover implementations of the current mandatory
    portions of IKE in IPsec."

I have asked Mr. McKinnon to post an updated IPR statement as soon as possible.

Russ

>Subject: Certicom IP Rights
>To: [email-masked]
>From: Ian McKinnon <[email-masked]>
>Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:23:09 -0400
>
>Dear Mr. Housley:
>
>Certicom has been reviewing its Intellectual Property position with
>respect to the Internet Key Exchange Protocol (as specified in "Internet
>Key Exchange (IKEv2) Proposal" <draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-08.txt>).We believe
>that we may have certain IP rights covering some aspects of the draft.
>
>We are still in the process of preparing our positions with respect to our
>IPR but wanted to inform you as IKEv2 is being finalized.
>
>Ian McKinnon
>President and CEO
>Certicom Corp