Subject: RE: Network Management

From: "Hibbs, R BARR (PB-rbhibbs)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 12:11:28 -0800

Thanks for your reply, Jonathan!  I appreciate the reference for
clarification of the scope of the Working Group's study....

>> Addressing some of the particulars you mention - measuring packet
>> inter-arrival times, delays, jitter, etc. is not even IP telephony
>> specific. 

True enough in the most general case, but my practical experience in
developing servers for configuring and provisioning IP clients suggests that
the truly useful data will not be captured.

What I want to know is not the stats for the entire IP "pipe" but rather
stats for individual channels, which a general measurement won't even
attempt to capture.  I have ended innumerable arguments about server
capacity and throughput precisely because I built the statistics capture
functions into the server.  More general-purpose tools such as the
host-system's monitoring process couldn't begin to provide useful data in
many cases.

I am monitoring both IP Performance Measurement and Real-time Traffic Flow
Measurement because I can see overlap with not just IP Telephony, but other
areas as well.

I look forward to participating in the group!

--Barr

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 15:41:40 -0500

> host-system's monitoring process couldn't begin to provide useful data in

By channels, I take it you mean something like an RTP session? There is
an RTP MIB which contains information of loss, delay, and jitter as
observed end to end by RTP participants. You can find a copy at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-mib-03.txt.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX:   (732) 834-5379                       Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen
---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.