Subject: RE: Network Management

From: "Hibbs, R BARR (PB-rbhibbs)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 08:33:10 -0800

From:  Robert Balko [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:  Thursday, December 17, 1998 11:43 AM
To:  list iptel
Subject:  Network Management

What, if anything, is being done in the area of network management for IP
Tel?

What sort of information will be collected and made available?

For a given 'call' will there be call details that are
generated/collected/stored?

If so, is there a plan to make that data available to net mgt processes?

If we decide to include pricing models will the billing information be
collected/generated?

If we implement perf levels will we be able to track and report them?  If
so, how?

...as a complete newcomer to this group, I have many of the same questions
that haven't yet been answered by reading reference documents....  In
particular I want to capture and report traffic data (e.g., holding time,
packet inter-arrival times, delay, and overhead v. payload).  So thanks for
putting your questions to the list, Bob!

--Barr Hibbs
  Pacific*Bell
  666 Folsom Street, Room 1225
  San Francisco, CA  94107-1384
  Tel:  +1-(415)-545-1576
  Fax:  +1-(415)-543-3539

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:54:15 -0500

> putting your questions to the list, Bob!

There's lots of stuff which needs solving for IP telephony to work and
be really deployed. This includes management, monitoring and reporting,
billing, signaling protocols, QoS protocols, transport mechanisms,
telephony integration, authentication, security, directories.... We are
not trying to solve all of those in this group (thank goodness). Our
focus is on two parts of this puzzle - gateway location, and a call
processing language. The charter;
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/iptel-charter.html spells out some
details. As such, things like management and call detail records are not
in our documents, since they're not in our scope.

Addressing some of the particulars you mention - measuring packet
inter-arrival times, delays, jitter, etc. is not even IP telephony
specific. I believe the IPPM (IP Performance Metrics) group is
definining some metrics that can be measured, and the RTFM (Real Time
Flow Measurement) is also developing mechanisms to measure traffic
volumes. Pricing and billing are also tough issues; I think there is
some work there in other standards bodies.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX:   (732) 834-5379                       Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen
---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.