Subject: CPL based logic or IN service logic?

From: "xmzhao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:57:57 +0800

I'm doing research on deploying Intelligent Services on IP telephony systems as my doctorate's subject. 
    After reading former messages, I feel that the goal of Call Processing Language is to provide the same capabilities to IP telephony users just as traditional Intelligent Network does to PSTN users. Is that true? If it is, since IN systems are much more sophisticated and are wildly deployed today, why don't we just connect the IP telephony systems with IN SCPs to access traditional IN services? Is building service logics based on a brand-new CPL necessary?
    Thank you!

Xiaoming Zhao.
[email-masked]
Institute of Communications Engineering. 
P.R. of China.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:34:14 -0500

Xiaoming,

You ask a good and important question. While the CPL provides services
similar in style to the IN CS1 services, there are some significant
differences. Most notably, the CPL is for *Internet* telephony services,
and so concepts like URLs, IP addresses, and email are foreign to IN, as
they are Internet specific. However, these form an integral part of the
services provided by the CPL, which will allow things like redirection
to email or proxying to SIP or H.323 URL's. Secondly, the goal of the
CPL is to expose these services to end users in a platform independent,
secure fashion. The fact that the services are defined by end users puts
constraints on the solution.

This is not to say that there is no value in connecting traditional IN
systems to the Internet for services; quite the contrary. I think doing
so is very useful, and will eventually become one of many solutions for
service creation and programming of IP telephony services. There's lots
of work to do before we can just "connect" them, though. 

-Jonathan R.

> xmzhao wrote:
> 
>     I'm doing research on deploying Intelligent Services on IP
> telephony systems as my doctorate's subject.
>     After reading former messages, I feel that the goal of Call
> Processing Language is to provide the same capabilities to IP
> telephony users just as traditional Intelligent Network does to PSTN
> users. Is that true? If it is, since IN systems are much more
> sophisticated and are wildly deployed today, why don't we just connect
> the IP telephony systems with IN SCPs to access traditional IN
> services? Is building service logics based on a brand-new CPL
> necessary?
>     Thank you!
> 
> Xiaoming Zhao.
> [email-masked]

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX: (732) 834-5379                         Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen
---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Sujatha Balaraman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:51:02 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
	I"m trying to formulate a pricing model for the Telephony Gateway
based on QOS offered. I am pretty confused on the type of topology to use
to simulate the same. Does anyone out there have any idea on the type of
topology/traffic to simulate to test the same. Can you also suggest any
papers which study Gateway Location and pricing using simulation results
with description of simulation model.

Thanks
Sujatha. 

******************************************************************************
Sujatha Balaraman              *  Networks Lab
			       *  UC Davis.
			       *  e-mail :[email-masked]
609, Anderson Road             *          [email-masked]
Apt: 287,                      *    
Davis                          *   Ph: 530-750-3897
CA  95616                      *      
*******************************************************************************

---------