Subject: RE: IP Telphony Gateway metering

From: Guocai Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:02:16 +0800

Ping Pan wrote:
>  
	> As for the data format, I have no problem with XML format if all
network
	> components are a bunch of Unix/NT servers. For the conventional
routers,
	> I doubt that they have spare CPU cycles to process XML messages.
In the
	> future, I don't care if all routers run JAVA, but not for now,
please.
	> :-) Why cannot we simply send more traditional protocol messages?

	I think you perference to Access Router. If the Acess Router
integrited some components like gatekeeper, they do need to precess XML
messages because they usually have enough resource to do this. if the Access
Router does not integrite any components like gatekeeper, they need not to
process XML message, it can leave the job to gatekeeper or others. It just
need to act as an proxy authentication server and need simple info to get
the QoS parameters. it is the response to gatekeeper to translate the info
from XML format to some other simple message format.

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Ping Pan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:44:32 -0500

> from XML format to some other simple message format.

But the AAA protocol work for many applications outside access networks.
We can envision the protocol is used to exchange information between
carrier routers. Many peer-to-peer applications may take place between
border routers. In that sense, I hope we are not restricting ourselves
with some sophisticated format like XML.

--
Ping Pan    phone: (732)-332-6744   fax: (732)-834-5379

---------

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 05:49:38 -0800 (PST)

> from XML format to some other simple message format.

I beg to differ.

As soon as the access router finds itself with more CPU we either increase the
ingress or egress trunk speeds (i.e. 33.6->56k), add more services to the box
(i.e. IP Telephony), or increase its port density.

Rarely have I ever heard of an access router with extra CPU capacity.

PatC 

---------