Subject: VOIP question ??

From: Sebastien Ducarne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:11:40 +0000

Hello,

I am from Global One Operator and work in the engineering team as responsible
of new access modes to Voice Services. I am familiar with the Voice over ATM
solutions but less for Voice over IP.

I have a specific question and I hope that someone could find time to help me
on it
To be clear, I would like to know if it is possible to connect Customers PBX
to
a VOIP-Gateway and to transport all the traffic to another VOIP-Gateway
connected
to our large voice switch, and this without Gatekeeper.

Is it possible? What is the impact on service ? On bandwidth management ?

Thanks in advance for any help on this issue.

Sebastien DUCARNE
Global One - Voice Engineering PARIS
+33 1 40 79 80 66
[email-masked]

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Bjarne Munch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:22:51 +1100

Hi Sebastian,

I'm new to this list, and thought that I migth introduce my existence by picking
up this one. In short;  Yes that is possible !

But a few questions migth be in order; why do you state that you dont want a
Gatekeeper ?

It may be of interest to have the Gatekeeper for any future enhancement of the
service offering, eg. more PBX's in the network or IP 'supplementary service'
offerings.
In the initial phase the Gatekeeper could be used to just set up the routing and
nothing
more, ie. it would be transparent to the user. Even in a 'simple', case such as
yours, you
would for most vendor products need to set up some routing information even
without
a Gatekeeper in the network.

Another question to ask is what services you would utilise on your PBX to
PBX link ?

Is it just pure transmission PBX to PBX, or would you require support of
existing PBX services such as call back or call transfer from one PBX to
the other ? In the latter case you would probably need some level of QSIG
capability in the VoIP network, ie. Gatekeeper signalling seems to be
needed.

Bandwidth management can be done, to a certain extend, via the Gatekeeper
but real QoS handling would need to be handled on a network level. The
issue is very much related to the size of the pipe between the two gateways
and the amount of traffic. If the pipe has a reasonable spare capacity you
should be able to provide an acceptable level of quality on your VoIP.

Regards
Bjarne Munch
Product Management, IP Services
Ericsson Australia

---------

---

From: [email-masked] (Ming Lu)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 20:34:56 -0600

Sebastian:

gatway serves a function as "translator" between traditional PSTN/PBX network and IP
network, you have no problem to connect a gateway to PBX.

Also According H.3232, gatekeeper is optional. You don't have to have gatekeeper to
operate a gateway.

Best

_ming

---------