Subject: Re: is there a better list to ask H.323 questions of

From: "Orit Levin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 11:47:16 -0400

Below is the description for two mailing lists:
implementors and H.323 general list

----------------
"[email-masked]"

You must send any posted email to the list with
[email-masked].

To send a message to the imtc-members list, send an email message to the

"[email-masked]"
To subscribe to this list, just send an
email message to [email-masked] in the message body simply type:

"subscribe imtc-h.323 implementors  (email address)"

To unsubscribe yourself from the list, send an email message to
[email-masked]
in the message body simply type:

"unsubscribe imtc-h.323 implementors    (email address)"

To insure "spam" mail is kept to a minimum, only people subscribed to the
list will be able to post to it.

Beck Horacek will be maintaing all mail lists.  Please do not hesitate to
contact her should you have any further comments or questions, at

+1.925.277.1320.
Interprise Ventures/IMTC
-------------------------------------------------
To send  a message to  all the people  currently subscribed to  the list,
just  send mail  to [email-masked].  This is  called "sending
mail to the list", because you send mail to a single address and LISTSERV
makes  copies  for all  the  people  who  have subscribed.  This  address
([email-masked]) is also called  the "list address". You must
never try to send any command to that address, as it would be distributed
to all the people  who have subscribed. All commands must  be sent to the
"LISTSERV address",  [email-masked]. It is very  important to
understand  the difference  between the  two, but  fortunately it  is not
complicated. The LISTSERV address is like  a FAX number that connects you
to  a machine,  whereas the  list  address is  like a  normal voice  line
connecting you to a person. If you make a mistake and dial the FAX number
when you wanted to talk to someone on the phone, you will quickly realize
that you  used the wrong  number and call again.  No harm will  have been
done. If on the other hand  you accidentally make your FAX call someone's
voice  line,  the  person  receiving the  call  will  be  inconvenienced,
especially if your FAX then re-dials  every 5 minutes. The fact that most
people will eventually connect the FAX machine to the voice line to allow
the FAX  to go through  and make  the calls stop  does not mean  that you
should continue to send FAXes to  the voice number. People would just get
mad at you.  It works pretty much  the same way with  mailing lists, with
the difference  that you are calling  hundreds or thousands of  people at
the same  time, and consequently  you can expect a  lot of people  to get
upset if you consistently send commands to the list address.

You  may leave  the list  at  any time  by sending  a "SIGNOFF  ITU-SG16"
command to [email-masked]. You can also tell LISTSERV how you
want it to confirm  the receipt of messages you send to  the list. If you
do not trust the system, send a "SET ITU-SG16 REPRO" command and LISTSERV
will send you a  copy of your own messages, so that you  can see that the
message was distributed and did not get damaged on the way. After a while
you  may find  that this  is getting  annoying, especially  if your  mail
program does not  tell you that the  message is from you  when it informs
you that new mail has arrived from  ITU-SG16. If you send a "SET ITU-SG16
ACK  NOREPRO" command,  LISTSERV will  mail you  a short  acknowledgement
instead, which will  look different in your mailbox  directory. With most
mail programs you  will know immediately that this  is an acknowledgement
you can read later. Finally, you can turn off acknowledgements completely
with "SET ITU-SG16 NOACK NOREPRO".

Following  instructions from  the list  owner, your  subscription options
have been  set to "REPRO MIME"  rather than the usual  LISTSERV defaults.
For more information about subscription  options, send a "QUERY ITU-SG16"
command to [email-masked].

Contributions sent to this list are automatically archived. You can get a
list  of the  available  archive  files by  sending  an "INDEX  ITU-SG16"
command  to [email-masked].  You can  then order  these files
with  a "GET  ITU-SG16  LOGxxxx" command,  or  using LISTSERV's  database
search facilities. Send  an "INFO DATABASE" command  for more information
on the latter.

This  list is  available  in digest  form.  If you  wish  to receive  the
digested  version of  the  postings,  just issue  a  SET ITU-SG16  DIGEST
command.

More  information on  LISTSERV  commands  can be  found  in the  LISTSERV
reference  card, which  you can  retrieve  by sending  an "INFO  REFCARD"
command to [email-masked].
-------------------------------------------------

Orit Levin
RADVision Inc.,
575 Corporate Drive - Suite 420
Mahwah, NJ 07430
Tel:    201-529-4300 (230)
Fax:   201-529-3516
-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
To: Hoefelmeyer, Ralph (MCI) <[email-masked]>
Cc: Jerry Scharf <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, April 07, 1999 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: is there a better list to ask H.323 questions of

>I'm not on the list; I know of its existence but don't know how to join.
>Perhaps someone who is on this list can send instructions?
>
>Thanks,
>Jonathan R.
>
>> Hoefelmeyer, Ralph (MCI) wrote:
>>
>> It might help to tell everyone how to join the h323 implementers list
>> ...
>>
>>      -----Original Message-----
>>      From:   Jonathan Rosenberg [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>>      Sent:   Tuesday, April 06, 1999 3:32 PM
>>      To:     Jerry Scharf
>>      Cc:     [email-masked]
>>      Subject:        Re: is there a better list to ask H.323 questions
>>      of
>>
>>      This is not the right list. This list is for the iptel working
>>      group in
>>      IETF. Please use the h323 implementors list for h.323 questions.
>>
>>      Thanks,
>>      Jonathan R.
>>
>>      Jerry Scharf wrote:
>>      >
>>      > I have seen several questions on H.323 go by here. I have one
>>      on V2 and was
>>      > wondering if there is a better place to ask it or if here is
>>      the right
>>      > place.
>>      >
>>      > thanks,
>>      > jerry
>>      >
>>      > ---------
>>      > This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing
>>      List.
>>
>>      --
>>      Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
>>      Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner
>>      Rd.
>>      High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
>>      FAX:   (732) 834-5379                       Rm. 4C-526
>>      EMAIL: [email-masked]
>>      URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen
>>
>>      ---------
>>      This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.
>
>--
>Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
>Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
>High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
>FAX:   (732) 834-5379                       Rm. 4C-526
>EMAIL: [email-masked]
>URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen
>
>---------
>This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.