Subject: RE: Measurement and testing parameter

From: Tom Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:24:02 -0700 (PDT)

It should be remembered that MOS is based on the. subjective opinions
of real people about the quality of a voice connection. It is therefore
based on their expectations of the service. With experience these
expectations tend to rise and the expectations of the performance of
teh PSTN network have risen over the years making MOS more stringent as
time goes by.

An MOS for IP tlephony needs to be developed to coincde with the
expecations of the people who use it and the decision makers who will
buy it. It is likely that these people, given IP telephony's other
advantages, will not expect or require the same level of service from
IPTel as the PSTN. Direct use of a PSTN MOS is probably not predictive
or useful.

Tom Gray

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: "Henri Setiawan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 19:38:09 +0700

Dear Tom,

Thank you for your respon regarding my question on measurement and testing
parameter, on my understanding tha MOS is not the only parameter to test
VoIP products. So, what do you think about the other parameter ? Like delay,
jitter, Codec or others QoS parameter ? According to you if we are only the
user, what we must aware on this technology ? Testing the products one by
one or just waiting until the technology is mature ?

By the way what do you think about using VoIP as asubstitute for to date
exchange ? Do you have any concept on this ?

Thanks

Henri S

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Gray <[email-masked]>
To: 'Tom Gray' <[email-masked]>; 'Henri Setiawan'
<[email-masked]>; IPTEL IETF Mailing List
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, April 16, 1999 2324
Subject: RE: Measurement and testing parameter

---------

---

From: Perry Erick Renaldo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 14:01:03 +0700

Henry,
If you want to test data-net product in order to get a clearer view on
its performance you might need a standard test methodology. Robert
Mandeville has developed a standard test methodology and approved by the
IETF under the spell of RFC 2285. Might be a help.

---------

---

From: "Henri Setiawan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:38:04 +0700

Thanks for your help.

By the way, is there anyone who have the standard test methodology either it
was release by IETF or other standard body or proprietary by vendor ? Please
share with me.

Regards,

Henri S

----- Original Message -----
From: Perry Erick Renaldo <[email-masked]>
To: IPtel Forum <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 1999 1401
Subject: Re: Measurement and testing parameter

---------