Subject: Invitation

From: "Ash, Gerald R (Jerry), NNAD" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 19:14:46 -0400

Hello,

My name is Jerry Ash and I'm the Rapporteur of ITU-T Study Group 2, Question
2 on routing.  At the 12/98 IETF meeting in Orlando, I presented some
on-going ITU-T work entitled "E.MM -- Routing of Multimedia Connections when
Interworking with TDM-, ATM-, and IP-Based Networks"
(<draft-ash-itu-qos-routing-00.txt>).  As highlighted in our discussions,
routing models in TDM-, ATM- and IP-based networks have evolved differently.
However, as TDM-based PSTNs interwork more with IP and ATM networks, and
perhaps evolve to incorporate IP/ATM technology themselves, we are
interested in exploring the evolution of routing standards in such cases.
As outlined in the liaison, we welcome the participation of the IETF in
these on-going routing topics and recommendations.

As a follow-up to that invitation, the E.MM Draft Recommendation (see
abstract below) and other routing topics will next be discussed at the May
4-14, 1999 ITU-T Study Group 2 meeting in Geneva.  Question 2 on Routing
meets on 5/6, 5/7, and 5/10, and we invite contributions to and
participation in these meetings and recommendations.  In that regard, I
would be happy to supply more detailed information on meeting logistics
and/or a Word-version copy of the currently proposed E.MM Draft
Recommendation.

Thanks very much,
Regards,
Jerry Ash
------------------------------------------------------------
Gerald R. (Jerry) Ash
Rapporteur, ITU-T Study Group 2, Question 2 (Routing)
AT&T 
Manager, Routing Evolution
Network Architecture & Development
Room MT E3-3C37
200 Laurel Avenue
Middletown, NJ 07748
USA
Telephone  732-420-4578
Fax            732-368-6687
Email          [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------

TITLE: E.MM - Routing of Multimedia Connections when Interworking with TDM-,
ATM-,  and IP-Based Networks

ABSTRACT

There are many network operators who have implemented multiple networks
using different protocols, which include Public Switched Telephone Networks
(PSTNs) which use Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) technology, Asynchronous
Transfer Mode (ATM) technology, and/or Internet Protocol (IP) technology.
The very rapid growth of data services driven primarily by multimedia
internet services has led in turn to the rapid growth of ATM and IP
technology being implemented and/or planned for PSTNs.  Also there is
interest in carrying traditional PSTN voice services over ATM- and IP-based
networks, leading to the convergence in many instances of voice and data
services onto a common network.  However there is also a growing need to
address the interworking of voice and data services over TDM-, ATM,- and
IP-based PSTN networks, as all these network types will continue to exist
and grow.  This Recommendation addresses the routing aspects of interworking
between these networks, and includes considerations of a) numbering, b) path
selection, c) quality-of-service (QoS) resource management, and d) signaling
and information exchange messaging.

The most effective routing functionalities employed within each network type
are recommended for application across network types, to enable and ease
interworking and include the following: a) the E.164/NSAP based
numbering/addressing method applied successfully in TDM- and ATM-based
networks, b) the automatic generation of routing tables based on network
topology and status applied successfully in TDM-, ATM-, and IP-based
networks, c) the dynamic path selection methods applied successfully in
TDM-based networks, d) the routing table design information exchange
messaging applied successfully in TDM-based networks, e) the QoS resource
management methods applied successfully in TDM-based networks, f) the
automatic update and synchronization of topology database methods applied
successfully in ATM- and IP-based networks, g) the topology update
information exchange messaging methods applied successfully in ATM- and
IP-based networks, and h) the connection/bandwidth-allocation control
signaling methods applied successfully in ATM-based networks.  The latter
includes originating switch controlled (source) routing, specification of
via and destination switches in a designated-transit-list/explicit-route
parameter in the setup message, and return of control to the originating
switch with a crankback/bandwidth-not-available parameter in the release
message.  Adapting these capabilities, or their equivalents, for use within
each network type and for interworking between network types builds on these
well studied, documented, deployed, and proven methods.  It also increases
the likelihood of backward compatibility to existing capabilities as new
interworking standards are adopted and implemented.

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.