Subject: Re: Invitation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:47:54 -0500

Ash, Chip:
I would appreciate a pointer to what CS pointed too.
Thanks.
Rahul Chopra

Chip Sharp <[email-masked]> on 04/08/99 09:44:34 PM

To:   "Ash, Gerald R , "'iptel @lists.research.bell-labs.com'"
      <[email-masked]>
cc:    (Rahul Chopra/MW/US/3Com)
Subject:  Re: Invitation

Thanks for the invitation.  I have a couple of questions below:

At 07:14 PM 4/8/99 -0400, Ash, Gerald R (Jerry), NNAD wrote:
>Hello,
...snip...
>The most effective routing functionalities employed within each network type
>are recommended for application across network types, to enable and ease
>interworking and include the following: a) the E.164/NSAP based
>numbering/addressing method applied successfully in TDM- and ATM-based
>networks, b) the automatic generation of routing tables based on network
>topology and status applied successfully in TDM-, ATM-, and IP-based
>networks, c) the dynamic path selection methods applied successfully in
>TDM-based networks, d) the routing table design information exchange
>messaging applied successfully in TDM-based networks, e) the QoS resource
>management methods applied successfully in TDM-based networks, f) the
>automatic update and synchronization of topology database methods applied
>successfully in ATM- and IP-based networks, g) the topology update
>information exchange messaging methods applied successfully in ATM- and
>IP-based networks, and h) the connection/bandwidth-allocation control
>signaling methods applied successfully in ATM-based networks.  The latter
>includes originating switch controlled (source) routing, specification of
>via and destination switches in a designated-transit-list/explicit-route
>parameter in the setup message, and return of control to the originating
>switch with a crankback/bandwidth-not-available parameter in the release
>message.  Adapting these capabilities, or their equivalents, for use within
>each network type and for interworking between network types builds on these
>well studied, documented, deployed, and proven methods.  It also increases
>the likelihood of backward compatibility to existing capabilities as new
>interworking standards are adopted and implemented.
...snip...

For b), c) and d), could you point me to the standards that describe the
protocols and algorithms used for these capabilities in the TDM network?
For example, what protocol is used for routing table design information
exchange messaging between switches?  This way we can read up on them
before the meeting.

Thanks,
Chip
--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 voice: +1 (919) 851-2085
Cisco Systems              Consulting Eng. - Telco
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
--------------------------------------------------

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.