Subject: RE: H.323 with ATM

From: Ami Amir <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 12:28:06 +0300

Am I just butting in?

H.323 Annex C is all about how to run H.323 over ATM. 

FYI

Ami

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Jonathan Rosenberg [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Thursday, April 22, 1999 12:06 AM
	To:	Abhishek Singh
	Cc:	Henning Schulzrinne; Eric Ho; IPTEL IETF Mailing List
	Subject:	Re: H.323 with ATM

	Abhishek Singh wrote:
	> 
	> Hi Henning,
	> 
	> RMOA is rather revolutiory. I know SIP would work over
	> any damn thing, but so would H.323. But the beauty of
	> RMOA work is that instead of using RTP/UDP/IP over ATM
	> in an unintelligent way it does use the QOS feautures
	> of ATM rather than using RTP.

	Rather than using RTP?? RTP doesn't provide QoS... There is nothing
	which prevents you from taking an RTP packet at an ATM boundary,
	extracting it, and sending it over an ATM VC that has some QoS
	associated with it (CBR or something), RTP in tact. Whether or not
you
	compress RTP is a separate issue.

	Of course, this poor edge box now has to do some application level
	processing instead of being a pure layer 3/2 device. Any end to end
	security will make it impossible for the box to find the RTP packets
as
	well. It seems like it would be easier to stay at layer 3, and
establish
	VC's based on RSVP or diffserv, or something like that... but thats
a
	separate issue.

	-Jonathan R.

	-- 
	Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
	Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
	High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
	FAX:   (732) 834-5379                       Rm. 4C-526
	EMAIL: [email-masked]
	URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen

	---------
	This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: "Francois D. Menard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 10:03:31 -0400 (EDT)

How does that align with the ATM Forum document written by Francois Audet
of Nortel ?

-=Francois=-

---------