Subject: Question on Internet Telephony Gateway Location

From: KAMINSKI Alain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:26:06 +0200

Hello,

Leaning over the gateway location issue, I'd like to ask you about 
the different solutions being worked out. As far as I found papers on the
topic,
I'm aware of GLP and T-BGP.

Are these two protocols the only actors for ITGL ?

I also found little documentation about BMA. Is BMA still a likely solution
?

Does ITGL still make any sense in a MeGaCo/SIP environment where
SIP users/servers could take advantage of the call agent (or MGC) to find
their
way to the appropriate GSTN gateway ?

Thank you for your feedback !

Have a nice day,

Alain

______________________________________
Alain KAMINSKI
Telecom Engineer - Backbone team
WIN S.A.Rue Marie-Henriette, 60
B-5000 Namur
Mobile phone : + 32 (0) 477 67 38 39
Work Phone : + 32 (0) 81 711 734
Fax : + 32 (0) 81 711 742
mailto:[email-masked]
Web: http://www.win.be/

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 23:01:55 -0400

> Are these two protocols the only actors for ITGL ?

We're finishing up merging these proposals into a single solution,
called TRIP (telephony routing over ip). Draft should be out real soon
now..

> I also found little documentation about BMA. Is BMA still a likely solution

No. BMA (BMA = Brokered Multicast Advertisements) was solving a similar
problem but with a much different set of assumptions. The idea there was
an open market for gateways, without any notion of inter-provider
relationships. It also relies on wide area multicast, which is
non-existent now.

> way to the appropriate GSTN gateway ?

It certainly makes sense there. In the megaco/sip model, the originating
MGC needs to figure out the address of a SIP server to forward the calls
to, so they can eventually terminate on an MGC that controls a gateway
which can terminate a call. As a result, TRIP (formerly known as GLP) is
very appropriate to use between SIP servers and MGC's, which are
referred to as "Location Servers" or LS's in the TRIP framework. Of
course, this need only arises when you assume there is more than one MGC
and/or more than one provider handling a call.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX: (732) 834-5379                         Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen

---------