Subject: [IPTEL] TRIP question on routing numbers

From: "Jeff Hinchey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 17:01:29 -0500

I was reviewing the latest version of the TRIP draft and was a little
confused over a statement in section 5.1.1.2, second paragraph, which reads:

	"The type of Decimal Routing Number (private, local, national, or
international) can be deduced from the first few digits of the prefix"

How is this accomplished? Telephone numbers only have meaning within the
context of a specific number plan. E.164 public numbers and numbers from
private number plans can begin with the same digits. Also, there is no way
to determine if a public number is local, national or international based on
leading digits. There is no reliable way to determine what number plan a
number belongs to from only the number itself. 

Is the intent to include dial plan prefixes in addition to numbering plan
addressing information in the routing numbers specified in the TRIP route?
If so, how will this work when TRIP information is disseminated between
ITADs serving different regions with different dial plans?

Jeff Hinchey
Succession Network Architecture                           Nortel Networks
613 763 8007 / 613 765 4881 (fax)                       3500 Carling Ave.
[email-masked]                               Nepean, Canada
K2H 8E9

---

From: "Hussein F. Salama" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 19:37:36 -0800

Jeff Hinchey wrote:

> How is this accomplished? Telephone numbers only have meaning within
> the context of a specific number plan. E.164 public numbers and
> numbers from private number plans can begin with the same digits.
> Also, there is no way to determine if a public number is local,
> national or international based on leading digits. There is no
> reliable way to determine what number plan a number belongs to from
> only the number itself.
>
> Is the intent to include dial plan prefixes in addition to numbering
> plan addressing information in the routing numbers specified in the
> TRIP route?

Yes, otherwise how can an LS differentiate between a local prefix, a
national prefix, and international prefix?

> If so, how will this work when TRIP information is disseminated
> between ITADs serving different regions with different dial plans?

A TRIP LS located at the egress from an ITAD may have to manipulate the
prefix by prependinng/stripping off digits as necessary.

Hussein

> [email-masked]                               Nepean,
> Canada  K2H 8E9
>

--
Hussein F. Salama
Cisco Systems
Mail Stop SJC-21/3, 170 W. Tasman Drive, San Jose, CA 95134
Voice: +1 (408) 527-7147, Fax: +1 (408) 527-7147