Subject: [IPTEL] VoIP conference Call for Papers

From: "Petros N. Mouchtaris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:43:24 -0500

Attached is a call for papers for a VoIP conference.
Abstracts are due on February 19.
You can check www.spie.org/info/itcom for more details or send me an e-mail if
you have any questions.

Petros
                            Call for Papers for the
                   Voice over IP (VoIP) Technology Conference
                           Denver, 20-23 August 2001

Part of SPIE's ITComm 2001 - International Symposium and Exhibit on the
Convergence of Information Technology and Communication Technologies, 20-24
August 2001, Denver, Colorado.

Conference Chair: Petros Mouchtaris, Telcordia Technologies

Program Committee:
Flemming Andreasen, Cisco
Dimitris Kabilafkas, OTE R&D
Fuchun (Joe) Lin, Telcordia Technologies
Dave McDysan, WorldCom
Seshadri Mohan, Comverse
Petros Mouchtaris (Chair), Telcordia Technologies
Rajesh Talpade, Telcordia Technologies

The convergence of information and communication technologies has allowed the
use of data networks for offering voice and multimedia services. When Voice over
IP (VoIP) was first introduced commercially in the mid-nineties it was marketed
as an inexpensive alternative to traditional telephone service. Quality of
Service was not a critical issue because users were willing to tolerate low
quality because of the low cost of the service. Today, large carriers with a
long tradition in offering high quality services are considering deployment of
VoIP. Also, VoIP has lost its low cost appeal because prices of traditional
telephone services have dropped dramatically. Long term success of VoIP will
depend on whether VoIP networks can provide high quality and can be used for
offering a wide array of exciting services that cannot be offered by traditional
telephone networks.

The goal of this conference is to bring together researchers, engineers and
users of VoIP technologies, with a focus on how carriers can offer exciting VoIP
services  that provide high quality of service to users. This conference is part
of the ITComm Symposium and Exhibit, which focuses on the convergence of
information and communication technologies. The symposium will take place in the
beautiful Denver/Boulder area, a fast-moving high technology corridor also
called "Silicon Mountain."

Authors are invited to submit abstracts in the following and related topics:

·    VoIP Architectures
·    Quality of Service
·    Reliability, Resiliency, and Fault Tolerance
·    VoIP Services and service APIs
·    VoIP mobility and integration with wireless networks
·    Interworking of VoIP with PSTN including Intelligent Networks
·    Signaling protocols for VoIP
·    Addressing and numbering approaches for VoIP
·    VoIP over access technologies (e.g. xDSL, cable)
·    Deployment experiences and lessons learned

Submitted abstracts should be of approximately 250 words.  There will be a
proceedings, published by SPIE, distributed at the conference.  Accepted papers
will be allocated up to 15 pages in the proceedings.