Subject: [IPTEL] circuitCapacity vs DSPcapacity attributes

From: "Liming Sun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 18:34:48 -0500

Good day, all.

I'd like to share with you my preliminary understanding of CircuitCapacity
and DSPcapacity attributes as defined in Usage of TRIP in Gateways for
Exporting Phone Routes (draft-rs-trip-gw-01.txt; dated July 14, 2000;
authors:Jonathan Rosenberg at dynamicsoft and Hussein F.Salama at Cisco
Systems).

It appears that the maximum circuit capacity of a gateway for all telephone
routes, which  terminate through it, is equivalent to its DSP capacity; as
there is a one-to-one relationship between the two.  The reason is that the
maximum number of circuits that a gateway can handle is proportional to its
processor capacity. The higher the processor power, the larger the circuit
capacity.  For instance, a gateway may handle twice as many circuits as
another gateway which has processor power only half of the former. In other
words, the DSPcapacity is (or should be) reflected in the circuit capacity.

Consider a scenario where a gateway has used up its circuits for a given
telephone route (e.g., 613592 prefix) because of, say, channel resource
limitation, but it still has processor resources available.  A TRIP location
server cannot, in this case, send new 613592 calls to that gateway as the
latter has reached its circuit limit for that route, even though it may
still have enough processor resources to place additional calls.

Thus, it appears that a TRIP LS can rely on the circuit capacity of a
gateway, but not its DSP capacity, to perform load balancing among different
gateways.

I appreciate, and thank you for, your comments on this topic.

Liming Sun
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel