Subject: [IPTEL] New charter

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 00:54:00 -0400

Folks,

At the last meeting, we came to some agreement on a new charter for the
iptel group. I've worked the new charter, and Scott Bradner has also had a
look through it, and is now forwarding it on to IESG. The new charter is
enclosed. Comments and input solicited.

----------------------------------------
IP Telephony (iptel) Working Group

Chair:
  Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>

Transport Area Directors:

Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>

Transport Area Advisor:

Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>

Description

The focus of the IP Telephony (iptel) group is on the problems related
to propagation of routing information for VoIP
protocols. Specifically, both SIP and H.323 have the notion of
signaling intermediaries (proxies in SIP and gatekeepers in
H.323). When these devices receive call establishment messages, they
must make a routing decision on where to forward the call setup
messages.

The iptel group has already defined a protocol, Telephony Routing over
IP (TRIP), which solves one aspect of this problem. Specifically, it
handles the case where calls need to be routed between domains. It
allows for the exchange of routing information between these
domains, so that policies can be applied to the resulting data to
create a forwarding information base. 

However, this protocol does not address all the scenarios of route
information exchange between servers. One important scenario is the
propagation of routing information between gateways and the signaling
servers in front of them. This is also known as "gateway
registration". It allows the signaling server to make a routing
decision about which gateway to use based on dynamic information about
the gateway resources. Vendors have deployed proprietary solutions for
this communications interface. A standard is needed. The group will
generate a standards track document that defines a protocol (possibly
based on TRIP) for this interface.

The group will also generate a MIB document for TRIP.

Note that the group is not working on elevating TRIP to Draft
Standard at this time.  

Deliverables:

1. A proposed standard RFC for gateway to server route exchange.

2. A proposed standard TRIP MIB specification, based heavily on the
existing BGP-4 MIB documents. 

Milestones:

Sep 01: TRIP MIB Document submitted to IESG for consideration as
proposed standard

Jan 02 : Gateway to Server Route Exchange document submitted to IESG
for consideration as proposed standard.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel