Subject: [IPTEL] LIST SERVER DIED

From: Shaun Erickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:29:44 -0500

Last Monday, December 10th, around 9:00 AM, the lists.bell-labs.com
listserver abruptly went down, never to come up again.

I immediately began construction of a replacement server, which went
online Thursday, December 13th, around 2:30 PM. It immediately started
receiving and processing the email that was queued up for it on the
Internet, and it is now caught up. However, it's possible that many
systems bounced the mail, rather than queue it for that long, so if you
haven't seen a post that should have gone out by now, you probably
should resubmit it.

I was able to get a lot of information about the lists, out of backups.
I was not able to get everything, however. For instance, while I was
able to retrieve the subscriber lists and resubscribe everyone, I was
not able to retrieve their individual settings, such as whether or not
they should get list mail in digest form, and any other per-subscriber
settings. Everyone's list passwords have changed, as well. You'll get
the new ones at the first of the month, when the reminders are sent out.
If you need to change your settings before then, or if your list isn't
configured to send out reminders, then please go to:

	http://lists-out.bell-labs.com/mailman/subscribe/YOUR_LIST_HERE

and click on the "Email My Password To Me" button, to have it sent to
you. If you have any trouble, please email
[email-masked], telling me what setting[s] on what
list[s] you need changed, and I will be glad to assist you.

List Admins: Your list's admin password has changed too. Please contact
me for the new one. Once you have it, please check the configuration of
your list. They are all back to their default settings, so you may find
you need to tweak a few of them. If you have any trouble, please contact
me at [email-masked].

I am working to ensure that should this happen again - which it someday
surely will - that I will be able to retrieve more (preferably all) of
the list and subscriber settings, so that recovery will be more
complete.

By the way, the list's archives have not yet been restored. I will get
to that soon, and merge them with the archives that have been getting
built since the new server went online.

	-ste
-- 
 Office: (908) 582-7629   Cell: (908) 672-6456   Pager: (888) 290-2057
_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel