Subject: IPv6 WG Last Call: <draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-name-lookups-13.txt>

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 15:34:27 -0800

This starts a two week IPv6 working group last call on publishing

	Title		: IPv6 Node Information Queries
	Author(s)	: M. Crawford, B. Haberman
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-name-lookups-13.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2006-1-4

as an Experimental RFC.  Please send substantive comments to the IPv6  
mailing list.  Editorial comments can be sent to the authors.  Also,  
note the current discussion on the IPv6 mailing list started by David  
Malone.

This last call will end on January 19, 2005.

Regards,
Bob

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:24:59 -0500

All,
      The WG Last Call has passed on this with two substantive comments.
The following is the proposed changes to -13 to address them.  Please 
voice
your support or disagreement with these changes.

1. Length of appended MD5 hash value:

     OLD:
         Compute the MD5 hash [7] of the first label of the
         Subject Name -- the portion beginning with the first one-octet 
length
         field and up to, but excluding, any subsequent length field.  
Append
         the first 32 bits of that 128-bit hash to the prefix 
FF02:0:0:0:0:2:FF::/104.

     NEW:
         Compute the MD5 hash [7] of the first label of the
         Subject Name -- the portion beginning with the first one-octet 
length
         field and up to, but excluding, any subsequent length field.  
Append
         the first 24 bits of that 128-bit hash to the prefix 
FF02:0:0:0:0:2:FF::/104.

2. Default configuration text for discarding NI Queries

      OLD:
         A node MAY be configured to discard NI Queries to
        multicast addresses other than its NI Group Address(es) but if 
so,
        the default configuration SHOULD be not to discard them.  An
        exception is made in the previous rule in the case of the 
All-Routers
        (FF02::2) and All-Nodes (FF02::1) multicast addresses.  The 
default
        configuration for responding to NI Queries to these multicast
        addresses MUST be to discard them.

     NEW:
        A node MAY be configured to discard NI Queries to
        multicast addresses other than its NI Group Address(es) but if 
so,
        the default configuration SHOULD be not to discard them.

Please respond by 01/31/06.

Regards,
Brian

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 07:42:32 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Brian Haberman wrote:
> The following is the proposed changes to -13 to address them.  Please voice

I'm fine with these changes.

>        Subject Name -- the portion beginning with the first one-octet length
>        field and up to, but excluding, any subsequent length field.  Append
>        Subject Name -- the portion beginning with the first one-octet length
>        field and up to, but excluding, any subsequent length field.  Append
>       multicast addresses other than its NI Group Address(es) but if so,
>       exception is made in the previous rule in the case of the All-Routers
>       (FF02::2) and All-Nodes (FF02::1) multicast addresses.  The default
>       multicast addresses other than its NI Group Address(es) but if so,

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: David Malone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:33:24 +0000

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 01:24:59PM -0500, Brian Haberman wrote:
> voice your support or disagreement with these changes.

Looks good to me too.

	David.