Subject: unknown behaviour with ipv6

From: "Amrit Soni" <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Oct 2006 17:51:25 -0000

Hi,

I'm doing testing of my ipv6 ported application on Fedora Core4.0(kernel 2.6.11). I'm using two ipv6 enabled hosts connected with a hub. And both of my hosts are having two addresses, link-local and global addresses.

I assign global address explictly and then i run my application on both the hosts. I bind all sockets with in6addr_any.  When my first host sends a packet to other host, it sends with the link-local address. And the second host dicards that packet because it expects the packet from global address. But after sometime around 5-10mins later, the first host starts sending packets on global ip and everything starts working. I don't understand this behavious.

I wanted to know why i'm getting this kind of behavious. Is it beacuse it takes time to make the entry of global address somewhere.

Thanks & Regards,
-Amrit
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Lawrence Zou <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:45:13 +0800

do you have ever done some packet interaction analysis?

Best regards,

Lawrence 

  _____  

From: Amrit Soni [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 1:51 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: unknown behaviour with ipv6

Hi,

I'm doing testing of my ipv6 ported application on Fedora
Core4.0(kernel 2.6.11). I'm using two ipv6 enabled hosts connected
with a hub. And both of my hosts are having two addresses, link-local
and global addresses.

I assign global address explictly and then i run my application on
both the hosts. I bind all sockets with in6addr_any.  When my first
host sends a packet to other host, it sends with the link-local
address. And the second host dicards that packet because it expects
the packet from global address. But after sometime around 5-10mins
later, the first host starts sending packets on global ip and
everything starts working. I don't understand this behavious.

I wanted to know why i'm getting this kind of behavious. Is it beacuse
it takes time to make the entry of global address somewhere.

Thanks & Regards,
-Amrit

<http://adworks.rediff.com/cgi-bin/AdWorks/sigclick.cgi/www.rediff.com
/signature-home.htm/1507191490@Middle5?PARTNER=3>

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:50:24 +0900

>>>>> On 11 Oct 2006 17:51:25 -0000, 
>>>>> "Amrit Soni" <[email-masked]> said:

> with a hub. And both of my hosts are having two addresses,
> link-local and global addresses.

> I wanted to know why i'm getting this kind of behavious. Is it
> beacuse it takes time to make the entry of global address somewhere.

One possible scenario is that the global address was in the tentative
state (see RFC2462) at the first invocation of the program.  If so,
the only usable address was the link-local one, and the kernel simply
chose the only candidate.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]

p.s. this issue looks more like implementation specific, so I'd
suggest dropping ipv6@ietf if we need to continue this discussion.