Subject: Privacy IPv6 addresses (RFC 4941) and the SNMP IP address table in RFC 4293

From: Kristine Adamson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 07:30:10 -0600

Hello,
   I have a question about the SNMP IP address table in RFC 4293.  For 
privacy IPv6 addresses (as described in RFC 3041), it appears that the 
ipAddressOrigin MIB object is supposed to be set to a value of random(6). 
Is this true also for these addresses as defined by RFC 4941, where sites 
can selectively enable or disable the use of privacy addresses for some 
prefixes? 

Thanks,

Kristine Adamson
IBM z/OS Communications Server: TCP/IP Development
Internet e-mail:[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:06:40 -0400

Hi Kristine,

Kristine Adamson wrote:
> ipAddressOrigin MIB object is supposed to be set to a value of 
> random(6).  Is this true also for these addresses as defined by RFC 4941

Yes. The ipAddressOrigin will be set to random for addresses generated 
using RFC4941 as well.

> where sites can selectively enable or disable the use of privacy 
> addresses for some prefixes?

I am not sure how this plays a role in picking the ipAddressOrigin 
value. Maybe I misunderstood the scope of your question.

Cheers
Suresh

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:10:37 -0400

Hi Kristine,

> value. Maybe I misunderstood the scope of your question.

The ipAddressOrigin TC supports 4293 the same way it does 3041.  The 
commentary in the RFC was written prior to the elevation of privacy 
addresses to draft standard.

My understanding of 4293 is that it is not meant as a mechanism to 
control the generation of privacy addresses in any way.  I am not aware 
of any *standardized* method for doing this.  Though section 3.6 of 491 
encourages vendors to provide such a knob.

Regards,
Brian

---

From: Kristine Adamson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 03:53:46 -0600

Suresh/Brian,
   Thanks for your quick replies.  I just wanted to verify that the 
ipAddressOrigin MIB object would still be set to random(6) for the privacy 
addresses defined by RFC 4941. 

Kristine Adamson