Subject: Protocol Action: 'IPv6 Router Advertisement Options for DNS Configuration' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 07:56:41 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IPv6 Router Advertisement Options for DNS Configuration'
  <draft-ietf-6man-dns-options-bis-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-dns-options-bis/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies IPv6 Router Advertisement options to allow
   IPv6 routers to advertise a list of DNS recursive server addresses
   and a DNS search list to IPv6 hosts.

Working Group Summary

   This document standardizes what was first defined in RFC5006 and also
   makes an extension by defining an RA option for a DNS search list.

   Bringing this document up to a standard track was also discussed
   in the V6OPS and 6MAN working groups, who recommended that the
   document be brought forward.

   The 6MAN working group discussed this approach of IPv6 host DNS 
   configuration and believes there is an need for an RA based solution
   to complement what can be done with DHCPv6.  

Document Quality

   There is a BSD and Linux implementation of RFC 5006, and at least
   the Linux one is on the standard distribution (though as an option).
   A number of operators have requested this option so it is reasonable
   to think that vendors will support it once it is standardized.

Personnel

   Bob Hinden is the Document Shepherd and Jari Arkko is the responsible
   Area Director.