Subject: Re: 6MAN WG Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-06.txt>

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 11:27:56 +0100

On 2012-12-12 09:44, Magnus Westerlund wrote:
> Thanks for the Review,
> 
> On 2012-12-12 02:02, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
>> This (and the companion document draft-ietf-6man-udpzero) seem ready for
>> publication to me.
>>
>> I do have a minor questions.  It is sufficiently minor that if necessary
>> it may be ignored so publication can proceed.
>>
>> I section 5, bullet 3 talks about "tunnel protocol will not
>> significantly increase the rate of corruption of the inner packet", and
>> then talks about needing to use additional integrity verification if
>> there is a risk of such increased corruption.  My question is, what kind
>> of encapsulating protocol would or could, by its nature, create such a
>> risk?  It is not at all clear to me what a protocol designer should be
>> watching for.
> 
> The one think we have determined could cause increased corruption is
> tunnels that fragment. That is discussed in the document in Section
> 3.1.5 but not explicitly linked to this bullet.

To make it clear we are not planing to make any changes to UDPZERO-08 to
address this comment. Objections?

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 10:40:46 -0500

Understood.  No objection from here.
Yours,
Joel