Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-nd-extension-headers-03.txt> (Security Implications of IPv6 Fragmentation with IPv6 Neighbor Discovery) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 07:41:22 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Maintenance WG (6man) to
consider the following document:
- 'Security Implications of IPv6 Fragmentation with IPv6 Neighbor
   Discovery'
  <draft-ietf-6man-nd-extension-headers-03.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-01-29. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document analyzes the security implications of employing IPv6
   fragmentation with Neighbor Discovery (ND) messages.  It updates RFC
   4861 such that use of the IPv6 Fragmentation Header is forbidden in
   all Neighbor Discovery messages, thus allowing for simple and
   effective counter-measures for Neighbor Discovery attacks.  Finally,
   it discusses the security implications of using IPv6 fragmentation
   with SEcure Neighbor Discovery (SEND), and formally updates RFC 3971
   to provide advice regarding how the aforementioned security
   implications can be prevented.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-nd-extension-headers/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-nd-extension-headers/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.