Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-13.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 05:11:41 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : A Method for Generating Semantically Opaque Interface Identifiers with IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC)
	Author(s)       : Fernando Gont
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-13.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2013-09-03

Abstract:
   This document specifies a method for generating IPv6 Interface
   Identifiers to be used with IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
   (SLAAC), such that addresses configured using this method are stable
   within each subnet, but the Interface Identifier changes when hosts
   move from one network to another.  This method is meant to be an
   alternative to generating Interface Identifiers based on hardware
   address (e.g., using IEEE identifiers), such that the benefits of
   stable addresses can be achieved without sacrificing the privacy of
   users.  The method specified in this document applies to all prefixes
   a host may be employing, including link-local, global, and unique-
   local addresses.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-13

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-13

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 09:14:58 -0300

Folks,

FYI, this revision addresses the WGLC comments.

Thanks,
Fernando

On 09/03/2013 09:11 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> 

-- 
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks
e-mail: [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 09:00:33 +0200 (CEST)

> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-13.txt

So, I guess I'm a bit late to the party here... but I thought I'd read it 
fresh, so my comments might be re-hashing of what has been said before.

Duplicate information in section 1 and 2 regarding this being orthogonal 
to "temporary addresses". Generally I feel that the intro is quite 
extensive it doesn't feel so much as an introduction .

Section 4 could perhaps benefit from mentioning DAD attack vector (DOS by 
a host indicating duplicate addresses for all addresses hosts try to use), 
perhaps by referencing RFC 3756.

Section 7 could perhaps reference RFC 6620 in addition to SEND. I would 
really like to see more SAVI WG documents referenced not only by this 
document :)

Apart from that, nothing I read stood out and document looks good.

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]