Subject: Re: [homenet] draft-lepape-6man-prefix-metadata-00

From: "Shwetha Bhandari (shwethab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 01:36:06 +0000

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the review, please find comments inline @SB

On 9/25/13 6:28 PM, "Michael Richardson" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>I think that this draft is useful land should be adopted.
>
>I think that application writers will be much happier asking for prefix
>colours than properties, if there is a clear set of default colours.
>I am concerned that there is an attempt to be too indirect, the way that
>DiffServ tried with DSCP, and yet nearly only code point is really
>supported
>for EF on real networks, so the point where application writers tend to
>embed it, at least at the documentation layer.
>
>section 3.3 talks about:
>
>   Once an application has determined the appropriate property **and**
>color
>   for its use it has to communicate with the network stack to select
>
>and I thought up to this point that one could select by colour, or by
>property.

[SB] you are right about colour OR property for selection. Will fix the
wording in the draft.

>  While it's true that the host interface is host specific, for this
>to work, someone needs to publish a reference implementation for
>Android/Java
>and Linux/C/Python...

[SB] There is an implementation for Android Section A.1.5
draft-lepape-6man-prefix-metadata-00#appendix-A.1.5 has the details.

>
>Suggesting three different userspace/kernel methods isn't going to help
>get
>applications written. APIs matter here.  Being able to set a default
>colour
>for a process (and it's children!!) is probably the initial killer
>interface,
>because I can now do something like:
>        low-latency-colour skype &
>where the command "low-latency-colour" sets the default colour and then
>invokes another command.
>
>3.5 I believe that local scoping of prefix color is going to be useless.
>The prefix colour is a proxy for which ISP/servie, so making it ISP scoped
>makes it useless for the application.
>
>Instead, I suggest that the prefix colour either be a global IANA registry
>(DS PHB may already be the right thing...),or make it a uuid.  Then
>T-mobile
>can embed their network prefix colour for video in the video player app
>that
>they want to shove into my phone...

[SB] Yes, UUID to attach e.g. ISP's enterprise ID or using access network
identifier
information along with the locally scoped colour for selection would
provide flexibility while a global registry may be suitable for the
properties.

Thanks,
Shwetha

>
>--
>Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>homenet mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homenet