Subject: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-6man-efficient-nd-07.txt

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 14:46:40 -0800

FYI: just updated some references in this document.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for 
draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-6man-efficient-nd-07.txt
Date: 	Fri, 27 Feb 2015 14:44:52 -0800
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Pascal Thubert <[email-masked]>, Erik Nordmark 
<[email-masked]>, Pascal Thubert <[email-masked]>, Samita 
Chakrabarti <[email-masked]>, Samita Chakrabarti 
<[email-masked]>, Margaret Wasserman 
<[email-masked]>, Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>, 
Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-6man-efficient-nd-07.txt
has been successfully submitted by Erik Nordmark and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-6man-efficient-nd
Revision:	07
Title:		IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Optimizations for Wired and Wireless Networks
Document date:	2015-02-27
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		35
URL:            http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-6man-efficient-nd-07.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-6man-efficient-nd/
Htmlized:       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-6man-efficient-nd-07
Diff:           http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-6man-efficient-nd-07

Abstract:
    IPv6 Neighbor Discovery (RFC 4861 going back to RFC 1970) was defined
    at a time when link-local multicast was as reliable and with the same
    network cost (send a packet on a yellow-coax Ethernet) as unicast and
    where the hosts were assumed to be always on and connected.

    Since 1996 we've seen a significant change with both an introduction
    of wireless networks and battery operated devices, which poses
    significant challenges for the old assumptions.  We are also seeing
    datacenter networks where virtual machines are not always on and
    connected, and scaling of multicast can be challenging.

    This specification contains extensions to IPv6 Neighbor Discovery
    which remove most use of multicast and make sleeping hosts more
    efficient.  The specification includes a default mixed mode where a
    link can have an arbitrary mix of hosts and/or routers - some
    implementing legacy Neighbor Discovery and some implementing the
    optimizations in this specification.  The optimizations provide
    incremental benefits to hosts as soon as the first updated routers
    are deployed on a link.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat