Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-predictable-fragment-id-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:52:12 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Security Implications of Predictable Fragment Identification Values
        Author          : Fernando Gont
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-predictable-fragment-id-03.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2015-03-09

Abstract:
   IPv6 specifies the Fragment Header, which is employed for the
   fragmentation and reassembly mechanisms.  The Fragment Header
   contains an "Identification" field which, together with the IPv6
   Source Address and the IPv6 Destination Address of a packet,
   identifies fragments that correspond to the same original datagram,
   such that they can be reassembled together at the receiving host.
   The only requirement for setting the "Identification" value is that
   it must be different than that employed for any other fragmented
   packet sent recently with the same Source Address and Destination
   Address.  Some implementations use a simple global counter for
   setting the Identification field, thus leading to predictable values.
   This document analyzes the security implications of predictable
   Identification values, and provides implementation guidance for
   selecting the Identification field of the Fragment Header, such that
   the aforementioned security implications are mitigated.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-predictable-fragment-id/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-predictable-fragment-id-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-predictable-fragment-id-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/