Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 03:03:34 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance of the IETF.

        Title           : Recommendation on Stable IPv6 Interface Identifiers
        Authors         : Fernando Gont
                          Alissa Cooper
                          Dave Thaler
                          Will Liu
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-10.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2016-02-17

Abstract:
   This document changes the default Interface Identifier generation
   scheme for SLAAC to that specified in RFC7217, and recommends against
   embedding link-layer addresses in IPv6 Interface Identifiers.  It
   formally updates RFC2464, RFC2467, RFC2470, RFC2491, RFC2492,
   RFC2497, RFC2590, RFC3146, RFC3572, RFC4291, RFC4338, RFC4391,
   RFC5072, and RFC5121, by removing the text in these RFCs that
   required the IPv6 Interface Identifiers to be derived from the
   underlying link-layer address, and replacing the aforementioned text
   with a pointer to this document.  Additionally, this document updates
   RFC3315 by specifying additional requirements on the generation of
   Interface Identifiers used in Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
   version 6 (DHCPv6).  It also provides advice to system administrators
   who employ manual configuration.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-default-iids/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-10

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-10

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 08:09:39 -0300

Folks,

This rev addresses the feedback received on-list, mostly y Alex, Brian,
and Ray.

I personally think that this one should be ready for WGLC.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Best regards,
Fernando

On 02/17/2016 08:03 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> 

-- 
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks
e-mail: [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 08:11:03 +1300

Hi Fernando,

> I personally think that this one should be ready for WGLC.

I agree. As an early WGLC comment, I think that the paragraph starting
"NOTE: [RFC4291]..." and other parts of the text should be adapted to
mention rfc4291bis, but this should be finalised as late as possible, even
during AUTH48 (ideally to report that 4291 is obsolete!).

Regards
   Brian

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 10:58:04 -0300

> during AUTH48 (ideally to report that 4291 is obsolete!).

Agreed.

I guess this would be tweaked as:

   NOTE:  [RFC4291] originally defined the "Modified EUI-64 format" for
IIDs.
      Appendix A of [RFC4291] then described how to transform an IEEE
      EUI-64 identifier, or an IEEE 802 48-bit MAC address from which an
      EUI-64 identifier is derived, into an IID in the Modified EUI-64
      format.

      [rfc4291bis] simply documents "Modified EUI-64 format", but
      references this document for IID generation.

?

Thanks!

Cheers,