Subject: Document Action: 'Generation of IPv6 Atomic Fragments Considered Harmful' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 09:25:00 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Generation of IPv6 Atomic Fragments Considered Harmful'
  (draft-ietf-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation-08.txt) as Informational
RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation/

Technical Summary

   This document discusses the security implications of the generation
   of IPv6 atomic fragments and a number of interoperability issues
   associated with IPv6 atomic fragments, and concludes that the
   aforementioned functionality is undesirable, thus documenting the
   motivation for removing this functionality in the revision of the
   core IPv6 protocol specification.

Working Group Summary

  The document was developed and adopted in the 6MAN w.g. and the
  deprecating of the remaining case of atomic fragment generation was
  included in draft-ietf-6man-rfc2460bis based on an earlier standards
  track version of this draft.  After this was done the authors agree to
  remove the RFC2460 update and change the status of this document as
  Informational.

Document Quality

  There is wide support for this document and the relevant changes in
  draft-ietf-6man-rfc2460bis.  The document has had extensive review in
  the w.g. including reviews by the w.g. chairs.

Personnel

  Bob Hinden is the document shepherd.  Suresh Krishnan is the responsible
  area director.