Subject: Re: Adoption call for <draft-hinden-ipv4flag-03>

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 10:55:18 -0400

Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]> wrote:
    >> But, we *can* signal that there is no uplink in v6.
    >> (Which perhaps explains how we might handle a future transition)
    >>
    >> So perhaps that is really what we can do with this bit:
    >> "The router setting this bit is indicating that the lack of
    >> DHCPv4 response is not an error.  This router has no IPv4 uplink."
    >>

    > Yes, that paraphrases what the draft says.

I agree that it's much the same, I think that it's subtly different in that
it's not saying that IPv4 is unavailable, but rather that this router has
no uplink useable by native IPv4 packets.

{
In this part of the thread, some have pointed out that a DHCPv4 server
can put a different address as the default router.

But the default route can *not* be meaningfully ommitted, as clients
will typically either just reject answers without the option, use the
GIADDR, or point at the DHCP server itself.
}

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-