Subject: FW: New Version Notification for draft-leddy-6man-truncate-01.txt

From: Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 18:14:29 +0000

Folks,

John and I have updated the draft to address issues raised on the list.

                                                           Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2018 2:04 PM
To: Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>; John Leddy <[email-masked]>
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-leddy-6man-truncate-01.txt

A new version of I-D, draft-leddy-6man-truncate-01.txt has been successfully submitted by Ron Bonica and posted to the IETF repository.

Name:		draft-leddy-6man-truncate
Revision:	01
Title:		Destination Originates Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) Packet Too Big (PTB) Messages
Document date:	2018-05-17
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		13
URL:            https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-leddy-6man-truncate-01
Status:        https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leddy-6man-truncate
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-leddy-6man-truncate-01
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-leddy-6man-truncate-01
Abstract:
   This document defines procedures that enhance Path MTU Discovery
   (PMTUD), so that it no longer relies on the network's ability to
   deliver an ICMP Packet Too Big (PTB) message from a downstream router
   to an IPv6 source node.  According to these procedures, selected
   packets carry a new IPv6 Destination option.  When a downstream
   router cannot forward one of these packets because of MTU issues, it
   truncates the packet, marks it to indicate that it has been
   truncated, and forwards it towards the destination node.

   When the destination node receives a packet that has been truncated,
   it sends an ICMP PTB message to the source node.  The source node
   uses MTU information contained by the ICMP PTB message to update its
   PMTU estimate.

   The destination node also examines the new Destination option to
   determine whether it should discard the truncated packet or deliver
   it to an upper-layer protocol.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat