Subject: Comments on draft-bonica-6man-oam-00

From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2019 16:19:33 -0800

Hello,

A few comments on the draft...

>From the draft:

"If a Hop-by-hop header includes an OAM option, OAM actions are
invoked on every node along the path to the destination, including the
destination (See Note 1)."

Why not incorporate the content of note 1 to just say that OAM
processing MAY be invoked by any node in the path. (obviously not all
nodes are going to support this).

The OAM actions are defined to have side effects such as sending ICMP
messages and logging packets. This could be used for Denial of Service
attack. What are the mitigations for this?

What is the relationship between this option and the one defined in
draft-brockners-inband-oam-transport-05 for in-situ OAM. Can they be
consolidated?

---

From: Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 23:00:36 +0000

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the review. Comments inline.

                          Ron

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Friday, March 1, 2019 7:20 PM
> To: 6man <[email-masked]>; Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Comments on draft-bonica-6man-oam-00
> 
> Hello,
> 
> "If a Hop-by-hop header includes an OAM option, OAM actions are invoked
> on every node along the path to the destination, including the destination (See
> Note 1)."
> 
> Why not incorporate the content of note 1 to just say that OAM processing
> MAY be invoked by any node in the path. (obviously not all nodes are going to
> support this).

Fair enough. You will see the change in the version-01

> messages and logging packets. This could be used for Denial of Service attack.
> What are the mitigations for this?

Look for mitigations in the security considerations section of version 01. The will leverage rate-limiting where required.

> draft-brockners-inband-oam-transport-05 for in-situ OAM. Can they be

I think that the big difference between this draft and draft-brockners-inband-oam-transport is that this draft never modifies the packet. draft-brockners-inband-oam-transport does.

We could talk about consolidation.

                                                               Ron