Subject: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len-09.txt

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 13:21:38 +0200

Hello to participants in 6MAN,

I just submitted a new version of the draft.  It is -09.

I would like to tell that me and another person would like to write on 
the first page that this would "Update: 4291"; I also think it should 
"Update: 4007".

What is the proper xml2rfc tag to use to make "Update:" appear?

This is the ChangeLog:
- added a reference to RFC 4007 about Zone ID in LL;
- added a reference to draft-bourbaki about IPv6 being classless;
- added the result of independent testing showing ifconfig add fe80:1::1
   works on linux but fails on BSD;
- added URL to C code in BSD flavor that may be in charge of dropping
   packets whose src/dst is an LL like fe80:1::1;
- added two co-authors.

Alex

-------- Message transféré --------
Sujet : New Version Notification for 
draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len-09.txt
Date : Thu, 18 Apr 2019 04:16:27 -0700
De : [email-masked]
Pour : Naveen Kottapalli <[email-masked]>, Loganaden Velvindron 
<[email-masked]>, Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>, 
Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len-09.txt
has been successfully submitted by Alexandre Petrescu and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len
Revision:	09
Title:		The length of the prefix of an IPv6 link-local address ranges 
from 10 to 127
Document date:	2019-04-18
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		8
URL: 
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len-09.txt
Status: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len/
Htmlized: 
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len-09
Htmlized: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len
Diff: 
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len-09

Abstract:
    A rejected Errata to RFC4291 "IPv6 Addr Archi" on the topic of link-
    local addresses 'needs' a draft.  This is an answer to that need.

    The length of the prefix of an IPv6 link-local address is variable.
    The minimal value is 10 decimal.  The maximum value is 127 decimal.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Philip Homburg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 15:26:31 +0200

>    works on linux but fails on BSD;

There is one thing that is missing from this draft, that may be relevant to
this.

If I limit myself to IPv6-over-ethernet, then it is safe to say that
implementations consider fe80::/64 to be onlink. This means that traffic to
any link local destination outside fe80::/64 (such as your example fe80:1::1)
would have to go through the default router (which of course has to drop the
packet).

So from a practical purpose, we can say that link local address outside
fe80::/64 do not make any sense.