Subject: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len-19.txt

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 10:55:28 +0200

Hi 6MANners,

I submitted version -19 of this draft.

This is the changelog:

    -19: updated authorship.

    -18: updated an author address; added a justification about the
    support of 54 set bits in LL addresses in a mixed vendor environment;
    added an illustration of the RFC4291 link-local address.

Alex

-------- Message transféré --------
Sujet : New Version Notification for 
draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len-19.txt
Date : Mon, 13 May 2019 01:38:51 -0700
De : [email-masked]
Pour : Naveen Kottapalli <[email-masked]>, Gyan S. Mishra 
<[email-masked]>, Loganaden Velvindron <[email-masked]>, 
Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>, Dusan Mudric 
<[email-masked]>, Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>, 
Gyan Mishra <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len-19.txt
has been successfully submitted by Alexandre Petrescu and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len
Revision:	19
Title:		The length of the prefix of an IPv6 link-local address ranges 
from 10 to 127
Document date:	2019-05-13
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		16
URL: 
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len-19.txt
Status: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len/
Htmlized: 
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len-19
Htmlized: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len
Diff: 
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len-19

Abstract:
    A rejected Erratum to RFC4291 "IPv6 Addr Archi" on the topic of link-
    local addresses 'would need' a draft.  This draft is an answer to
    that need.

    The length of the prefix of an IPv6 link-local address is variable.
    The minimal value is 10 decimal.  The maximum value is 127 decimal.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: "Templin (US), Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 16:59:32 +0000

Alex,

Without having read the draft, my understanding is that in general IPv6-over-(foo)
documents are responsible for discussing the link-local address format on specific
link layers. Would that remain the case if your document goes forward?

Thanks - Fred

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ipv6 [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Alexandre Petrescu
> Sent: Monday, May 13, 2019 1:55 AM
> To: IPv6 <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len-19.txt
> 
> Hi 6MANners,
> 
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 11:01:12 +0200

Fred,

- if this document goes forward, its statement that the IID length of
   the LL is variable can only be in line with IPv6-over-(foo) documents
   which would discuss that value more precisely.  To that end, I can
   add an explicit paragraph in this draft.

- it is commonly admitted that IPv6-over-(foo) documents are indeed
   responsible for discussing the link-local address format on specific
   link layers.  Recently, this was reflected in:
     - views expressing that IID len of LLs is independent of that of
       GUAs/ULAs.
     - to a certain extent, draft-farmer-6man-exceptions-64-09 expressing
       that IID len for SLAAC - i.e. GUA/ULA _and_ LL - is specified in
       IPv6-over-(foo) docs.

- however, despite an apparent freedom in decision that would result
   from delegated responsibility to IPv6-over-(foo) documents, all recent
   IPv6-over-(foo) documents are imposed to use the 64bit IID len which
   is set in RFC4291 "IPv6 Addr Archi".

Alex

---

From: "Templin (US), Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 16:46:10 +0000

Alex,

> From: Alexandre Petrescu [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 2:01 AM
> To: Templin (US), Fred L <[email-masked]>
> Cc: IPv6 <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: New Version Notification for draft-petrescu-6man-ll-prefix-len-19.txt
> 
> Fred,
> 
>    which would discuss that value more precisely.

OK, thanks.

> To that end, I can

This seems like a classic tussle space; I am not sure whether adding new text
would either alleviate or exacerbate the tussle. In either case, the editor's
pen is in your hands so good luck.

Fred