Subject: SRH: Local configuration and TLV processing

From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 13:47:50 -0700

Hello,

I still don't understand how "local configuration" works in regard to
how "TLVs are processed".

>From the draft (draft-ietf-6man-segment-routing-header-19): "Local
configuration determines how TLVs are to be processed when the Active
Segment is a local SID type defined in this document."

And for the one TLV defined in the draft:  "Local configuration
determines when to check for an HMAC and potentially provides an
alternate composition of Text".

Are there any limitations here? For instance, could someone create a
local configuration where every other byte in the packet is taken to
be the input text into HMAC TLV? Do we expect implementations to
support all possible local configurations in order to be conformant?
What is the guidance to implementations to be able to support a
seemingly open ended number of such local configurations?

Thanks,
Tom