Subject: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-herbert-6man-exp-opts-00.txt

From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 16:35:04 -0700

Hello,

This draft defines a way to use and deploy experimental Hop-by-Hop and
Destination options. It's an adaption of RFC6994 which describes the
mechanism for TCP options. (From RFC6994: "The techniques described
here may also enable shared use of other experimental codepoints").
The motivation for this is to facilitate early deployment and
implementation of a number of IPv6 options being proposed (e..g. Path
MTU option, FAST, IOAM, etc.).

Some of the notable differences from RFC6994 are:
- Only define 32 bit experimental identifiers
- Experimental identifiers are declared to be immutable in flight
(regardless of change bit)
- AH handling of experimental options containing an experimental
identifier is described

Thanks,
Tom

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, May 10, 2019 at 3:14 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-herbert-6man-exp-opts-00.txt
To: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-herbert-6man-exp-opts-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Tom Herbert and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-herbert-6man-exp-opts
Revision:       00
Title:          Shared Use of Experimental Hop-by-Hop and Destination Options
Document date:  2019-05-10
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          9
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-herbert-6man-exp-opts-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-herbert-6man-exp-opts/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-herbert-6man-exp-opts-00
Htmlized:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-herbert-6man-exp-opts

Abstract:
   This document describes how the experimental IPv6 Hop-by-Hop and
   Destinations Option types can concurrently support different
   experimental options. This is accomplished by employing a format in
   the Option Data for experimental option types. The format contains an
   experiment identifier that indicates an experimental option contained
   in the trailing Option Data. This approach is robust to experiments
   that are not registered and to those that do not use this sharing
   mechanism.  It is recommended for all new Destination and Hop-by-Hop
   options that use experimental codepoints.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat