Subject: FW: I-D Action: draft-templin-6man-lla-type-00.txt

From: "Templin (US), Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 21:40:34 +0000

Hi, here is a new draft titled "The IPv6 Link-Local Address Type Field". It proposes an
update to RFC4291 where bits 48-63 of a link-local address are used to code a "type".
There are many methods for generating link-local addresses, including:

 - Administrative configuration
- RFC4941(bis)
- RFC7217
- RFC4291
- RFC3972
- others

On some links (and even on some interfaces) there may be multiple link-local address
types in use, and so it may be beneficial to have a way to distinguish the different types.
What is proposed is to assign a type value to each link-local address generation method,
with the type value being written into bits 48-63 of the address.

For example, if the Type value '3' were assigned to RFC7217, then a link-local address
generated via RFC7217 could be written as:

    fe80:0:0:3::[Interface-ID]

BIG NOTE: this proposed new Type field would only be used for new IPv6-over-(foo)
specs that are aware of its presence. Legacy interface types (e.g., RFC2464) would
always write the value '0' (i.e., "unspecified") in this field and so would always see
the prefix fe80::/64 per their published standards such that full backwards compat
is preserved. It is always possible that legacy specs could be updated in a (bis) to
recognize the field, however.

Please review and comment. It will be very helpful if we could get this done.

Thanks - Fred

-----Original Message-----
From: I-D-Announce [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 1:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action: draft-templin-6man-lla-type-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : The IPv6 Link-Local Address Type Field
        Author          : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-6man-lla-type-00.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2020-11-17

Abstract:
   IPv6 link-local addresses are formed from the prefix fe80::/10 which
   is followed by 54 "zero" bits, then followed by a 64-bit Interface
   Identifier.  There are multiple methods for generating link-local
   addresses, and multiple may be in use by nodes on the same link (and
   sometimes even the same interface) at the same time.  This document
   defines an IPv6 link-local address "Type" field that identifies the
   type of link-local address being used.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-6man-lla-type/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-6man-lla-type-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-templin-6man-lla-type-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt