Subject: Fwd: [E] New Version Notification for draft-mishra-v6ops-variable-slaac-problem-stmt-01.txt

From: Gyan Mishra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 03:14:46 -0500

Dear v6OPS,

This draft addresses the problem statement to change SLAAC's historical
fixed 64 bit boundary to variable PIO so that VLSM masking is supported
just as it is today with static & DHCPv6 & DHCPv6 PD.

This change to SLAAC to variable, ensures that parity is maintained between
the three address deployment mechanisms that exist today with IPv6.  This
draft as well addresses the MAJOR gap that exists today with lack of parity
and the historical framework of the impact of this lack of partify that has
existed since the IPv6 specification was published 20+ years ago.

We have a solutions draft below that is referenced in this draft that goes
over in detail the solution on 6MAN.

! Variable SLAAC
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac/

Bob & Ole,

Please review.  Based on the feedback received from 6MAN, I would like to
request a time slot on IETF 109.

Kind Regards

Gyan

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Mishra, Gyan S <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 6:50 PM
Subject: Fwd: [E] New Version Notification for
draft-mishra-v6ops-variable-slaac-problem-stmt-01.txt
To: Hayabusanew <[email-masked]>

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 6:46 PM
Subject: [E] New Version Notification for
draft-mishra-v6ops-variable-slaac-problem-stmt-01.txt
To: Naveen Kottapalli <[email-masked]>, Alexandre Petrescu <
[email-masked]>, Gyan Mishra <[email-masked]>,
Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>, Dusan Mudric <
[email-masked]>, Dmytro Shytyi <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-mishra-v6ops-variable-slaac-problem-stmt-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Gyan Mishra and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-mishra-v6ops-variable-slaac-problem-stmt
Revision:       01
Title:          SLAAC with prefixes of arbitrary length in PIO (Variable
SLAAC) - A Problem Statement
Document date:  2020-10-30
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          12
URL:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_archive_id_draft-2Dmishra-2Dv6ops-2Dvariable-2Dslaac-2Dproblem-2Dstmt-2D01.txt&d=DwICaQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=DnUkF34wu4mqq0UY8nn2rxBBO7qOW_D-RfNVLML28ZU&m=ZpKJS8hFoz8oYRnxB625Sh8r1NsuITN0k-oDx27MAoo&s=dtYY-cXn0FCho9ZftXjO-TuTH19Nr6MO5spHMPP0xR4&e=
Status:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__datatracker.ietf.org_doc_draft-2Dmishra-2Dv6ops-2Dvariable-2Dslaac-2Dproblem-2Dstmt_&d=DwICaQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=DnUkF34wu4mqq0UY8nn2rxBBO7qOW_D-RfNVLML28ZU&m=ZpKJS8hFoz8oYRnxB625Sh8r1NsuITN0k-oDx27MAoo&s=r_lKH89Jv_SyFjyIiw5PnM-0tsi2rCVZBfiR8Q9kHxc&e=
Htmlized:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__datatracker.ietf.org_doc_html_draft-2Dmishra-2Dv6ops-2Dvariable-2Dslaac-2Dproblem-2Dstmt&d=DwICaQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=DnUkF34wu4mqq0UY8nn2rxBBO7qOW_D-RfNVLML28ZU&m=ZpKJS8hFoz8oYRnxB625Sh8r1NsuITN0k-oDx27MAoo&s=eKzBB98mFai1psOcqSKEFKAB4ex0TTkH1qE3KwlktF8&e=
Htmlized:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tools.ietf.org_html_draft-2Dmishra-2Dv6ops-2Dvariable-2Dslaac-2Dproblem-2Dstmt-2D01&d=DwICaQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=DnUkF34wu4mqq0UY8nn2rxBBO7qOW_D-RfNVLML28ZU&m=ZpKJS8hFoz8oYRnxB625Sh8r1NsuITN0k-oDx27MAoo&s=BWr8XoPyMxt4e9KnLojwGX54ODGu0gmDToc_EweEdtI&e=
Diff:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_rfcdiff-3Furl2-3Ddraft-2Dmishra-2Dv6ops-2Dvariable-2Dslaac-2Dproblem-2Dstmt-2D01&d=DwICaQ&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=DnUkF34wu4mqq0UY8nn2rxBBO7qOW_D-RfNVLML28ZU&m=ZpKJS8hFoz8oYRnxB625Sh8r1NsuITN0k-oDx27MAoo&s=ZnQw7BqnqoVfmkBjFXkEWMDk_QEIRHI-11QPkt3b1bU&e=

Abstract:
   In the past, various IPv6 addressing models have been proposed based
   on a subnet hierarchy embedding a 64-bit prefix.  The last remnant of
   IPv6 classful addressing is a inflexible interface identifier
   boundary at /64.  This document details the 64-bit boundary problem
   statement.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

-- 

<http://www.verizon.com/>

*Gyan Mishra*

*Network Solutions A**rchitect & SME*

*Data Center Planning | Common Core | Development & Engineering Lab
ServicesGlobal Technology Services | ITNUC*

*O 240 970-6287M 301 502-134713101 Columbia Pike Rm 304-D*Silver Spring, MD
20904

*IETF  & ISOC Member since 2015*

https://www.ietf.org/

https://www.internetsociety.org/

-- 

<http://www.verizon.com/>

*Gyan Mishra*

*Network Solutions A**rchitect *

*M 301 502-134713101 Columbia Pike *Silver Spring, MD