Subject: Starlink is on IPv6

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 12:35:27 -0500

Hi all,

Sometime back we discussed about IP support on Starlink.

Here is what I found out:
Starlink network is on IPv6 they have this /28 prefix
2605:59C0::/28

I can ping6 this host from my MacOs laptop connected to AT&T Fiber:
ping6 2605:59c0:3318:4e00:a811:8e64:62b1:8b86

Behcet

---

From: Nick Buraglio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 12:45:03 -0500

I do not believe it is enabled by default if using their routed device yet.
It is possible to get a /56 PD if you remove their router and put in your
own that does a PD request, but it does change fairly frequently, the lease
time is ~5m last I looked. In the past the service basically proxy
responded to all ICMP even if the addresses were not actually legitimately
active. I can, however, ssh to an IPv6 enabled host on my starlink network,
so if it's up it's available (if ACLs allow for it).

I have a couple of test points running over mine, https://starmon.qosbox.com
is some simple end to end latency graphene using smokeping internally and
reporting back to a cloud system.
https://atlas.ripe.net/probes/1002417 is a raspberry pi running the ripe
atlas software over starlink
https://atlas.ripe.net/probes/25983/ is a ripe probe on their hardware
(which appears to be down, I'll need to look into that).

nb

---
Nick Buraglio
Planning and Architecture
Energy Sciences Network
+1 (510) 995-6068

ᐧ

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 12:35 PM Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 10:42:01 -0500

Hi Nick,

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 12:45 PM Nick Buraglio <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I do not believe it is enabled by default if using their routed device
> yet. It is possible to get a /56 PD if you remove their router and put in
> your own that does a PD request, but it does change fairly frequently, the
> lease time is ~5m last I looked. In the past the service basically proxy
> I have a couple of test points running over mine,
> https://starmon.qosbox.com is some simple end to end latency
> graphene using smokeping internally and reporting back to a cloud system.
>

I looked at this site,  it shows that Netflix has seconds level RTT while
almost all others (Amazon Apple, etc.) have msec level RTT.
Why could that be?

> atlas software over starlink
This probe says IPv6 works.

How did you get the antennas from Starlink? I thought they don't sell to
residential areas?

Keep up the good work!

Behcet

---

From: Nick Buraglio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 11:19:15 -0500

---
Nick Buraglio

>> I have a couple of test points running over mine,
https://starmon.qosbox.com is some simple end to end latency graphene using
smokeping internally and reporting back to a cloud system.
> Why could that be?

All this probe is doing is an http get to the netflix page, it's not really
indicative of opening a stream from their content distribution. If you
start looking at the graphs, there are two sources, you want to focus on
the one labeled STARLINK_IL_AS14593, as that is my local probe. The other
source is the cloud system and was meant to be a control, although it is
surprisingly less consistent. This graph represents the long term averages
of my home node.
https://starmon.qosbox.com/smokeping/?displaymode=n;start=2020-09-11%2016:13;end=now;target=Common_Web_Services_HTTP.NetFlix~starlink-il-as14593
It is quite reasonable.

> This probe says IPv6 works.
Yes, this one is working. The other one seems to be broken.

residential areas?

I put in for an early node. I actually didn't think I'd get it but they
gave it to me, I used it as a primary service for a few months but I really
just got it to do testing and then to take to my parents. Eventually I will
take it to my parents who live outside of a smaller town. Their only option
for broadband is a very unreliable DSL service.