Subject: Missing Draft (IP over VBI)

From: "Henri van der Riet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:47:05 +0200

Hi,

I found a link on http://www.atvef.com/library/9806_framework.html to
the following draft.

 IP delivery over video broadcast (analog PAL example): 
 http://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-thorne-vbi-00.txt

The ds.internic.net site seems to be gone...

Could you please tell me were to find the draft?

I found the one for NTSC (draft-ietf-ipvbi-nabts-05.txt).

Thanks a lot in advance.

PS: Keep up the good work.

Henri van der Riet
ABSA Bank 
Johannesburg
South Africa

---

From: Jim Carruthers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 16:47:17 -0500

Henri;

As I recall the WST version was not pursued because the European standards 
bodies were considering the matter independently, and still have the topic 
under discussion. 

The issue is not one of the TV standard (NTSC/PAL/SECAM) but rather the data
standard one wishes to use (NABTS/WST/JAPANESE). NABTS works with all systems 
and is being used worldwide with NTSC/PAL/SECAM and combination systems 
(several systems such as in South America are actually hybrids). So the 
current 'IP over VBI' spec which is NABTS based can be used worldwide. The 
refrerence you have quoted is what was approved.

I believe SABC has mandated WST rather than leaving it open to the marketplace
so perhaps in SA you would need to use WST. While most developments such as
ATVEF are NABTS/CC based, similar operation could be achieved in a WST 
environment if necessary.

If you need to use WST Norpak, [http://www.norpak.ca], and perhaps others, have 
a solution - but since the standard has yet to be set it is subject to change. 
Perhaps others on the list can offer solutions.

Cheers
Jim Carruthers