Subject: [Isis-wg] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-isis-wg-mesh-group-00.txt

From: Mike Shand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 09:12:03 +0000

At 10:32 02/03/2000 -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>This draft is a work item of the IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group of 
>the IETF.
>
>         Title           : IS-IS Mesh Groups
>         Author(s)       : R. Balay, D. Katz, J. Parker
>         Filename        : draft-ietf-isis-wg-mesh-group-00.txt
>         Pages           : 9
>         Date            : 01-Mar-00

Just a few comments.

In the modified 7.3.15.1. e.1.ii) there is no mention of what to do if the 
incoming circuit is 'meshblocked'. I assume this is do nothing, since if 
things are correctly configured you wouldn't receive an LSP over such a 
circuit, but the spec should be clear on this point.

It could do with an example of how one is supposed to deploy it.

It might be helpful to say that a very good way of shooting yourself in the 
foot is to define some links as meshSet and some links as meshBlocked in 
the same 'mesh'. One could argue that use of CSNPs gets you out of the 
hole, but maybe that is even worse because although you get the LSPs 
delivered eventually you introduce a considerable propagation delay.

Oh and I think there's a typo. In the sentence leading up to the changes to 
section 7.3.15.3 clause b) (bottom of page 4) it says

"...links with a mesh group meshEnabled or meshBlocked."

presumably this should read
"... links with a meshEnabled value of meshSet or meshBlocked"

         Mike

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Mike Shand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 09:30:55 +0000

>circuit, but the spec should be clear on this point.

Hmmm. Thinking about this some more, its not so obvious. If you received a 
CSNP over a meshBlocked circuit, and you had a newer LSP you would send it 
out over the meshBlocked circuit (since the draft makes no changes to 
section 7.3.15.2 c). Hence it would be entirely reasonable to receive an 
LSP over a circuit marked meshBlocked, even in a correctly configured 
network. So presumably one would want to accept that LSP and treat it as 
for meshSet?

         Mike