Subject: [Isis-wg] Doubt regarding DR election

From: SelvarajR <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 13:02:59 +0530

Hi,
Regarding DR election  10589 : 92 section 8.4.5 (e) states that DR election 
process can start whenever an IIH PDU is received or transmitted as 
described in 8.4.4. I find this little bit vague. To my understanding I 
find it is better to start the DR election whenever
1. A new IIH PDU with higher priority than the existing DR been received.
2. The priority of any existing neighbour been increased higher than the 
existing DR
3. Initially after waiting for twice the Hello interval when circuit comes 
UP

The third point is mentioned clearly . But the remaining cases are vague if 
I go through the STD. Will it happen to conduct DR election during 
transmission of IIH at any time.

Some clarification with points of cases will be helpful.
Thanx

Selva

---

From: Mike Shand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 22:13:48 +0000

Well, since the standard specifies only externally visible behaviour it 
makes no difference. If you 'run' the DR election in a case where there is 
no change it is exactly equivalent to not running it. Whether you actually 
'run' it or not is an implementation detail.
You could regard some of your cases as actually running the election and 
then aborting it when you discover that the PDU is not a higher priority. 
etc. etc.

         Mike

>Some clarification with points of cases will be helpful.

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg