Subject: [Isis-wg] draft-ietf-isis-wg-multi-topolgy-02

From: Jon Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:19:51 -0000

Could someone explain to me what the assignment of MT ID#2 to IPv6 Routing
Topology means?

Is #2 the IPv6 equivalent of #0?  If so, why can't we just use #0?  If not,
what does it represent?

Jon

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://spider.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Naiming Shen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:11:22 -0800

Jon,

 ] Could someone explain to me what the assignment of MT ID#2 to IPv6 Routing
 ] Topology means?

in M-ISIS extension, you can run multiple topologies within an IS-IS
instance, the IPv6 topology is assigned to have MT ID of 2. so if you
have different topology records in a packet, you can identify which
topologies they belong.

 ] 
 ] Is #2 the IPv6 equivalent of #0?  If so, why can't we just use #0?  If not,
 ] what does it represent?

the MT ID #0 is for IPv4 unicast. yes in some sense, this #2 is the "normal"
IPv6 topology. and if you have more than one IPv6 topologies within a
single IS-IS domain, then you have to pick some other numbers.(this is
like #0 is for "normal" IPv4 unicast topology, you need to pick other
numbers for your other IPv4 unicast topologies).

 ] 
 ] Jon
 ] 
 ] _______________________________________________
 ] Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
 ] http://spider.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

- Naiming