Subject: [Isis-wg] Cisco IS-IS Area == ISO10589 IS-IS Area ???

From: Ashish Zalani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 18:50:49 -0400

I suppose this is not the best place to ask a question about something that 
relates to a specific vendor's terminology, but I was hoping someone on 
this mailing list might be able to enlighten me on this issue:

I am a bit confused about what Cisco calls an "Area" w.r.t. IS-IS.
 From the description of it, a "Cisco Area" seems to be what I would call 
an "IS-IS Routing domain" (or in terms of the Multi Topology draft, an MT).

I understand from the Cisco documentation that one can configure no more 
than 30 "areas" on a (Cisco) router. But the Cisco documentation also says 
that you cannot configure more than 3 NETs on a router. I should have 
thought that I should be allowed to configure 3 NETs per "area" per router. 
Furthermore, it says: "If you are configuring multiarea IS-IS, the area ID 
must be unique, but the system ID portion of the NET must be the same for 
all IS-IS routing process instances".

I don't understand:
- why the area ID portion of the NET has to be unique between NETs for 
different "areas".
- how I could configure 30 "areas" with just 3 NETs and unique area IDs.

Can anyone kindly explain this to me?

Regards,
-Ashish.
Ashish Zalani	
Modeling Engineer
OPNET Technologies, Inc.

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://spider.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: stefano previdi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 01:03:04 +0200

this is cisco-configuration specific and will take this offline.

s.

---

From: Mike Truskowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 01:14:44 -0700 (PDT)

Since you are asking about a Cisco solution why ask this group.
Ask your Cisco support person.

Mike