Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] Message from the ITU

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 15:05:34 -0700

Hi Jonathan,

 | Since the work in the IETF on IS-IS is limited to achiving Informational
 | status, the ITU will never be able to use an IETF RFC as a normative
 | reference.  

This comment struck me as curious.  Are you saying that if IETF claimed to
pass standards on IS-IS and put these RFCs on the standards track, that the
ITU would be willing to reference them as Normative?

What is the reason for not referencing Informational RFC's as normative?
They are fixed, published documents.

Would it help if the IETF (and the authors of the RFC's) granted ITU
rights of replication?

Tony
_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://spider.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Mike Truskowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 15:16:44 -0700 (PDT)

Tony,
This is why I requested Q14 to send a liaison to you.  

You have it correct....  In order to get the 3way handshake
pointed at.. it must be on standard track or a STD.  Same 
with everything else.

I thought there was an agreement between the IETF and ITU so
we didn't have to duplicate... but it seems it's only good at
the STD level.

Mike