Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] reg: no of IS's in an area

From: Jonathan Sadler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 12:32:39 -0500

Please be aware that a number of IS-IS implementations used in the
support of OSI CLNP routing are limited to 50 or so ISes per area.  This
situation exists due to advice provided by SIF to the SONET/SDH NE
community back in the early '90s.

While this doesn't pose an interoperability problem per se, it does
cause nightmares for SONET/SDH DCN designers.

Jonathan Sadler

Jeff Parker wrote:
> 
> > Is there any limitation on maximum number of
> > Intermediate System can be configured in an Area.
> > If any one knows please let me know.
> >
> > Ramesh
> 
> The protocol does not have any realistic hard limits.
> That is, you cannot have more than 2^48 routers in
> your network, but things will probably fall apart
> before reaching that limit.
> 
> Implementations have limits: often these will be in
> the SPF computation, the processing of large LSP sets,
> and dealing with many interfaces.  Various three digit
> numbers have been suggested as the realistic limits
> on the number of routers per area.  Your mileage may vary.
> 
> - jeff parker
> _______________________________________________
> Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
> http://spider.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg
============================================================
The information contained in this message may be privileged 
and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the 
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an 
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to 
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any 
reproduction, dissemination or distribution of this 
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received 
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by 
replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

Thank you.
Tellabs
============================================================
_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://spider.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Jeff Learman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 15:42:13 -0400

The limit of 50 (in the Guidelines doc written in 1997) was advice to
network designers based on limitations of existing equipment.  It's
unfortunate if some NE vendors have misconstrued that as an
excuse to limit their support to 50.

Regards,
Jeff