Subject: [Isis-wg] 3 Way Handshake

From: "Suresh Boddapati" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 20:11:31 +0000

I have a question regarding the 3 way handshake draft (I guess now it is in 
limbo land where it is waiting to become an informational RFC).

The state machine indicates that if the existing 3 way adjacency state is UP 
and we receive a 3 way adjacency state of DOWN, the action should be INIT.

This does not seem right. The fact that you had a 3 way state that was up 
and now the nbr says it is down, shouldnt we restart the adjacency? This may 
be one way of the nbr wanting to restart the adjacency. I think the state 
should be DOWN and not INIT.

Same thing applies in the case where you receive a ptop IIH with the 3 way 
state TLV being absent. The draft says "A received ptop IIH PDU may or may 
not contain the PTOP 3 way adj option. If it does not, the link is assumed 
to be functional in both directions....". If you already had a 3 way nbr 
state of UP and let's say the IS got switched with another IS that does not 
support 3 way TLV, going by the draft, we will not detect the change in the 
system. We will continue to keep the adjacency when in fact we should 
restart it.

Comments?

Suresh

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://spider.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg