Subject: RE: [Isis-wg] Paper comparing OSPF and ISIS

From: "Manral, Vishwas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 13:15:38 -0400

Hi Tony,

I am sorry about that. Did not realize I couldn't do this, I however did
know this was not in the charter.

Thanks,
Vishwas

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Przygienda [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 7:53 PM
To: Manral, Vishwas
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] Paper comparing OSPF and ISIS

Manral, Vishwas wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>The topic of differences between OSPF and ISIS has been raised more than
>once. The topic has been covered in a few presentations before as well as a
>lot of internal documents. It would however be helpful to "compare both
>specs and put down the differences and pros and cons of the differences"
for
>the benefit of people.
>
>I intend to make a group of people who would be interested in the effort.
So
>anyone willing to help can mail me and I will add them to the group, from
>where we can take this further on.
>
>I do have a preliminary list of things to start off.
>
Manral, please do not use this list for this purpose if you choose to 
pursuit it. It is outside the scope
of this workgroup for sure and on top, I am not entirely sure anything 
really new comes out of it.
Dave K.'s presentation pretty well covered the issues IMHO.

    -- tony przygienda

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Tony Przygienda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 10:36:44 -0700

>know this was not in the charter.
Manral,

To be perfectly frank, I am not sure what productive use the effort 
would have and I see a lot
of possible shrapnel flying with innocent bystanders being hit. OSPF 
will unlikely adopt ISIS 'goodies'
since they have a large deployed base, very good documentation and 
frankly, a very understandable,
'symmetric' protocol. On the ISIS side, there is a strong justification 
with a different set of customers
for what we're doing and how we're doing it so I have a hard time to see 
ISIS adopting OSPF 'goodies'.
And even if, most of the 'goodies' are nice to haves and more of 
philosophical design-tradeoff differences
than 'this-one's-clearly-better-solution' issues and even more if, they 
will probably break deployed base for
small incremental gain .  As for the shrapnel, the issue has the 
capability of  re-'create' yet another religious war.

    So I guess my point being, as always with explosives, handle with 
care unless
    you're interested in a Darwin award  ;-)

    -- tony