Subject: [Isis-wg] Flooding LSPs and HELLOs

From: Abhishek Verma <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 14:00:28 +0530

Hello,

In link state protocols like ISIS we flood whatever LSPs that we get
from our neighbors to our other neighbors, so that everybody fills in
the pieces of a big jig-saw puzzle and everyone comes up with a
consistent view of the network. Do we then flood all the HELLOs also
that we recieve from our neighbors. I believe we dont. Please correct
me if i am wrong.

We, thus only flood the LSPs that we receive from our neighbors to the
adjacent routers and nothing else.

Thanks,
Abhishek

--
Class of 2004
Institute of Technology, BHU
Varanasi, India

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: hemanthbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:23:25 +0530

Hi,

          Yes we flooding only the LSPs. In link state
protocols(ISIS,OSPF) all routers in the network should have identical
information about the network(other routers), that is there should be a
synchronization of the databases between all routers in the network.
This is achieved with the help of flooding.i.e we flood the LSPs on all
links except the one we received on.
         Hellos are not flooded.Hellos are significant only w.r.t to a
pair of routers connected on that particular link(P2P) or set of routers
(on LAN). Their main purpose is to establish & maintain peers.

bye

S.Hemanth Balaji.
Software Engineer.
Huawei Technologies India Pvt Ltd.
Bangalore, India.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Abhishek Verma
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 2:00 PM
To: ISIS-WG (E-mail)
Subject: [Isis-wg] Flooding LSPs and HELLOs

Hello,

Thanks,
Abhishek

---

From: Hannes Gredler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 09:48:52 +0100

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 02:00:28PM +0530, Abhishek Verma wrote:
| Hello,
| 
| In link state protocols like ISIS we flood whatever LSPs that we get
| from our neighbors to our other neighbors, so that everybody fills in
| the pieces of a big jig-saw puzzle and everyone comes up with a
| consistent view of the network. Do we then flood all the HELLOs also
| that we recieve from our neighbors. I believe we dont. Please correct
| me if i am wrong.

there is no notion of flooding for IIHs, see
IIHs are not "flooded" as they always have a
link-local meaning and are not significant on other ends
of teh network;
 
| We, thus only flood the LSPs that we receive from our neighbors to the
| adjacent routers and nothing else.

not to forget the self-originated LSPs of course which are flooded to
all the neighbors;

/hannes