Subject: [Isis-wg] Wide Metric

From: "Nurit Sprecher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 12:14:14 +0200

Hi all,

I wonder if the wide metric defined in the TE extension for the
integrated IS-IS is widely supported in real networks. What about the
IS-IS default metric? I guess the default metric is widely supported. Is
that correct?

Is the wide metric in use especially when leaking routes from L2 to L1?
Or maybe there is there another case/use?

Why is the wide metric combined with the TE extension? Is it supposed to
be considered by the CSPF calculations? My understanding is that it used
by the SPF calculations. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance,

Nurit.

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Shankar Vemulapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:01:50 -0800 (PST)

Hi Nurit -

> IS-IS default metric? I guess the default metric is widely supported. Is

Wide-metric is embraced by more & more customers.  It gives them the
flexibility which is not there with the narrow (default) metric.
( for ex.:  suuport of TE, increasing the range of is-is metric & also
  improving the encoding of IP prefixes)

> Or maybe there is there another case/use?

is also used in carrying the TE extensions.

> by the SPF calculations. Is that correct?

Take a look at RFC3784 - which should help answer your questions.

Thanks,

/Shankar

---

From: hemanthbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:19:45 +0530

Hi Nurit,

       Another important role of wide metric is in policy based routing.
For eg: AdminTag feature<draft-ietf-isis-admin-tags-01> requires wide
metrics.

Bye.
Hemanth.

S.Hemanth Balaji.
Software Engineer.
Huawei Technologies India Pvt Ltd.
Bangalore, India.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Shankar Vemulapalli
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 10:32 AM
To: Nurit Sprecher
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] Wide Metric

Hi Nurit -

Thanks,

/Shankar