Subject: [Isis-wg] Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-isis-caps (IS-IS Extensions for Advertising Router Information) to Proposed Standard

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 12:58:02 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, The IESG wrote:
> The IESG has received a request from the IS-IS for IP Internets WG
> (isis) to consider the following document:
>
> - 'IS-IS Extensions for Advertising Router Information '
>   <draft-ietf-isis-caps-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard
>
> This document has a normative reference to two informational RFCs,
> 3567 and 3784.  These are part of a group of informational RFCs that
> were published as informational instead of standards-track for
> historical reasons, and there is current work in progress to advance
> them to standards track.
...

This comment applies to all the three IS-IS documents currently in 
Last Call.

As far as I can see, there is no significant work in progress (as 
visible to an outsider) to move the underlying Informational RFCs 
forward at all: no drafts.  I can see that there was some discussion 
on the list in January but that's it.  Given the usual pace IS-IS WG 
takes in moving documents from draft to RFC (5 years +/- 3 years) this 
move would take years.

AFAICS, there is no harm in the 3 drafts being drafts until their 
dependencies are sorted out.  On the other hand, not publishing them 
as RFCs may motivate the WG to actually work on the standarzation of 
IS-IS base specifications at a reasonable pace.   There is also a 
possibility that a specification would need to be changed when 
standardized so that it might affect one of these 3 specifications.

As such I do not support approving these documents at this time.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg