Subject: [Isms] Solution for "arch needs context engineID"

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 15:09:05 -0800 (PST)

HI,

Background: In SNMPv3, all messages include a "context engineID"
field that specifies the "location" of management information
identified by the variables in the varBindList of an SNMP message.
When receiving an SNMP request, the value of the context engineID
is used to determine if the receiving SNMP entity can process
the message, or if the message is to be forwarded to another
SNMP entity. (When an SNMP entity forwards a message, that
entity is called an SNMP proxy agent. The SNMP entity that
finally processes the message is called an SNMP target agent.)

In most (if not all) SNMPv3/USM managers, managed systems
have an associated set of attributes, which include:
1) transport address,
2) SNMPv3/USM user name,
3) security level (noAuthNoPriv, authNoPriv, authPriv)
4) the "authentication protocol" (such as "MD5" or "SHA")
5) the "privacy protocol" (such as "DES" or "AES")
6) the pass phrase 

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms