Subject: Re: [Isms] #3: we need some text contributed to discuss theimplications of sessions on SNMP.

From: Robert Story <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 14:54:50 -0500

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:23:42 -0400 David wrote:
DBH>  SNMP was originally designed with certain assumptions in mind. Some
DBH> assumptions may no longer be valid if we use sessions. 

One issue that was discussed early on, I think in one of the BOFs, was about
the security level of the session, and how that affected what PDUs could be
sent over the session.

IMHO, the security level used to initiate the session should be considered the
maximum security level, with no minimum. eg an authNoPriv pdu could be sent
over an authPriv session. The rational being that we should not require
additional sessions for varying security levels. A user is free to create
another session if they want to avoid the overhead of encryption for
authNoPriv messages, but if their goal is to avoid session setup overhead,
they re-use an existing session of a higher level.

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms