Subject: [ipwave] SeND implementations for ND

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 15:59:31 +0100

SeND is Secure Neighbor Discovery in RFC3971, some IPR conditions may 
apply on its CGA part.

SeND is useful for securing Router Advertisements between cars V2V on OCB.

A programmer recently surveyed the existing SeND implementations:

1. Easy SEND, linux, source code, java

2. ND protector, linux, Telecom Paris Tech, source code, C, Python

3. ipv6-send-cga, linux, Huawei, BUPT, source code, C, Python

4. Cisco, IOS (no VPP, no openwrt), no source code

5. Juniper, JunOS, no source code

6. TrustRouter, github, C, python

7. scapy SeND patch, source code, python

I recollect there's also a SeND implementation project (no code) for 
Android.

Alex

---

From: "Templin (US), Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 15:41:51 +0000

Hi Alex,

I appreciate seeing this survey. AERO also requires SeND and so having this list
of implementations is very helpful.

Can you say more about the IPR conditions?

Thanks - Fred

From: its [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Alexandre Petrescu
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2018 7:00 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ipwave] SeND implementations for ND

SeND is Secure Neighbor Discovery in RFC3971, some IPR conditions may apply on its CGA part.

I recollect there's also a SeND implementation project (no code) for Android.

Alex

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 13:44:14 +0100

The IPR GB 2367986 and licensing declaration on this RFC SeND are on the 
IETF IPR Disclosure web page.  It's of year 2004.

To me, the licensing conditions seem very encouraging compared to the 
conditions applying to other RFCs.  These conditions are purely 
defensive and there's no owner-defined 'reasonable'.

They apply to draft-ietf-send-cga-06.txt "Cryptographically Generated 
Addresses" and to draft-ietf-send-ndopt-06.txt "SeND".  The IPR is very 
much about the former.  The latter has a part distinct and alternative 
of CGA: the RSA signature.

It should be possible to either implement SeND without risking 
infringing the IPR (maybe dont implement CGA part but the RSA part) or 
when infringing not be afraid of being trialled when not trialling.

Judging by the number of implementations it is possible that the 
conditions are indeed encouraging to implementer.

Alex

Le 13/12/2018 à 16:41, Templin (US), Fred L a écrit :
> *From:*its [mailto:[email-masked]] *On Behalf Of *Alexandre Petrescu
> *Sent:* Thursday, December 13, 2018 7:00 AM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* [ipwave] SeND implementations for ND
>

---

From: "Templin (US), Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 19:24:53 +0000

Alex,

Thanks very much for this information, and again thanks for assembling
the list of implementations. Seems there is a significant body of work to
draw from w/o worrying about patents and such.

Fred

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alexandre Petrescu [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 4:44 AM
> To: Templin (US), Fred L <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [ipwave] SeND implementations for ND
>