Subject: [ipwave] PC5 at 5.9GHz?

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 13:48:48 +0100

Hi, IPWAVErs,

Is there cheaply available hardware to make work PC5 at 5.9GHz?  PC5 is
a part of 5G specs that deal with direct communications between
vehicles, presumably without SIM cards and without the involvement of a
Mobile Network Operator (MNO).

For my part, I think no, there is no PC5 hardware at 5.9GHz.

It is very likely, I think, that PC5 hardware (modems, interfaces) might
use a very different PHY layer than what 802.11-OCB uses.  That might be
the 'New Radio' (NR) of 5G.  NR is incompatible with 802.11 PHY layer.

There are no 5.9GHz bands, no spectrum, allocated neither in USA by FCC
nor in Europe by the Commission, for 'C-V2X' or for 'PC5' even though
there might have been a request for comments ('an 'NPRM') at FCC in USA
in that sense.  That NPRM did not lead to allocating 5.9GHz spectrum for
C-V2X.  It is one year now since that NPRM closed.

Currently, all 5.9GHz bands are fully allocated to 'DSRC' (or, 802.11 if
you wish, or 'ITS-G5').

However, I was pointed by a vehicle manufacturer to a router
manufacturer (Comsignia, see https://www.commsignia.com/hardware/)
description that states that one feature is "DSRC and C-V2X (PC5)
communication interfaces".  The price of that OBU is not displayed, but
I suspect it to be in the range of a couple thousand euros, which can
still be affordable, even though not for a series car whose price might
be highly affected.

Also, I was pointed to a recent cheap hardware "AirPrime® EM9190 5G NR
Sub-6 GHz and mmWave Module" which lists the following bands: "Sub-6:
n1, n2, n3, n5, n7, n8, n12, n20, n25, n28, n38, n40, n41, n48, n66,
n71, n77, n78, n79, mmWave: n257, n258, n260, n261".  In this list,
there are not the bands 'n46' and 'n47', which are the bands for 5.9GHz.

This brings me the question: is there cheap hardware for PC5 at 5.9GHz?

Alex

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 17:41:49 +0100

I was provided in private the 5GAA's list of PC5 capable devices.  It is
a public document whose links clicked ok in OCtober 2020; the document
is at URL
https://5gaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/5GAA_List-of-C-V2X-Devices.pdf

Some of the links no more work.

The document is sorted by: chips, modules, OBUs, RSUs, etc.

The chips are from: Autotalks, Huawei, Qualcomm.

The modules are from: SimCOM, muRata, Quectel, WNC, LG Innotek, ZTE,
Neoway, Unex, Datang, Alps Alpine.

A promising chips to try might be the those who say 'linux' and 'Mode 4'
(a kind of LTE equivalent of 802.11 'ad-hoc' mode).  Because the
software driver in linux would be freely available and the Mode 4 would
be the mode not needing SIM card.

I am not sure though whether or not there are currently linux drivers
available freely for 'Mode 4' implementations?

Alex

Le 24/01/2021 à 13:48, Alexandre Petrescu a écrit :
> Hi, IPWAVErs,
> 
> Is there cheaply available hardware to make work PC5 at 5.9GHz?  PC5
> is a part of 5G specs that deal with direct communications between 
> vehicles, presumably without SIM cards and without the involvement of
> a Mobile Network Operator (MNO).
> 
> It is very likely, I think, that PC5 hardware (modems, interfaces)
> might use a very different PHY layer than what 802.11-OCB uses.  That
> might be the 'New Radio' (NR) of 5G.  NR is incompatible with 802.11
> PHY layer.
> 
> There are no 5.9GHz bands, no spectrum, allocated neither in USA by
> FCC nor in Europe by the Commission, for 'C-V2X' or for 'PC5' even
> though there might have been a request for comments ('an 'NPRM') at
> FCC in USA in that sense.  That NPRM did not lead to allocating
> 5.9GHz spectrum for C-V2X.  It is one year now since that NPRM
> closed.
> 
> Currently, all 5.9GHz bands are fully allocated to 'DSRC' (or, 802.11
> if you wish, or 'ITS-G5').
> 
> communication interfaces".  The price of that OBU is not displayed,
> but I suspect it to be in the range of a couple thousand euros, which
> can still be affordable, even though not for a series car whose price
> might be highly affected.
> 
> Also, I was pointed to a recent cheap hardware "AirPrime® EM9190 5G
> NR Sub-6 GHz and mmWave Module" which lists the following bands:
> "Sub-6: n1, n2, n3, n5, n7, n8, n12, n20, n25, n28, n38, n40, n41,
> n48, n66, n71, n77, n78, n79, mmWave: n257, n258, n260, n261".  In
> this list, there are not the bands 'n46' and 'n47', which are the
> bands for 5.9GHz.
> 
> _______________________________________________ its mailing list 
> [email-masked] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its