Subject: Re: [iucg] [discuss] rootservers

From: JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 19:21:10 +0100

At 07:11 25/02/2014, manning bill wrote:
>By definition, a root server, serves the global Internet, is 
>designed to respond to queries generated from -EVERYWHERE- on the 
>global Internet.

Bill,

Thank you for the clarification.
A root file is a vision of the global internet name space (and 
actually more) from a given point of view that is figured by the 
final "empty" dot.

By the definition of the VGNs (Virtual Global Network) concept (i.e. 
a virtual network vision covering the whole catenet):

- a top zone server serves its users to access the global catenet.
- in using its VGNIC (virtual global networks information center)'s root file.
- Some VGNs can be open, specialized, or closed. The purpose of the 
HomeRoot experimentation should be to understand how the VGNICS 
(virtual global network information center system) should work to 
fully support the DNS needed, unique single and comprehensive map of 
each class.

To answer your question posed to Elisabeth:
- we will discuss some practicalities, at a Free ISP monthly members 
meeting in France, probably next week.
- then 
<http://doodle.com/u9wnrr3quz3f8fmy>http://doodle.com/u9wnrr3quz3f8fmy 
on March 11 in Paris, the day after the French IGF.
- the target is to prepare a coordinated/concerted project at the 
IUCG OpenCamp during the Montpellier (France) FLOSS RMLL meeting, 
during the second week of July.

As Gregory pointed it out, the first need is of a consistent terminology.

At the beginning of the WGIDNAbis, I had committed, once IDNA2008 
would be consensually adopted, to document atop and test an ML-DNS 
(ML was standing for multi-ledger registry, some of these ledgers 
being able to take care of linguistic classes as suggested by ICANN 
ICP-3). The target was that every language could be treated on an 
equal effillient footing with English in using Patrik Falström's DNS 
vision of Unicode plus some ISO 10646 missing orthotypographic 
attributes (like French majuscules).

This calls for a presentation layer six that we located at an 
Intelligent Use Interface (IUI) hosting some "Plugged Layers on the 
User Side". Its provision of extended services to the user must 
either stay transparent to the other side or be able to interact with 
its IUI (or with many others services in an "agoric" [i.e. 
polylectic] way). During the WG period, we used to discuss the 
virtual network created by these IUIs as the "internet+" (that Google 
also used). The term "InterPLUS" was also used.

Then, the status of RFC 5895 (which permitted the consensus on IDNA 
as exemplifying the way the internet architecture supports diversity 
by subsidiarity at the fringe) was disputed: there was a need for a 
better inclusion of multilinguistics within the catenet concept and 
IDNA in its internet architecture.

- the MINC (Multilingual Internet Name Consortium) was politically 
hijacked and was not able to introduce any project over IDNA2008.
- we had created Eurolinc with Louis Pouzin. It is active in 
different areas but Europe is a big machine.
- IAB was open but never concluded at the architectural level.
- an appeal of mine showed that the IETF was interested/concerned by 
fringe to fringe issues but that they were outside of its scope.
- the IUCG was created with Russ Housley in order to house these 
kinds of IUsers concerns and I investigated the IUTF (for fringe to 
fringe) on the IRTF model.
- IETF created several WGs to integrate IDNA2008 concepts.
- personal constraints and the fear of coaxing crime in the picture, 
due to the expected transition delays, prevented me from initiating 
an ML-DNS bold work and testing.

Then, Snowden raised the level of awareness so much that crime could 
not become an unnoticed danger, IETF added works, new computer 
languages, and architectures have emerged, cyberwar issues are 
acknowledged, ISOC led the I*coalition effort in the standardization 
paradigm area with the result OpenStand, ICANN /1net joined the net 
oriented OpenStand signatories/endorsers and attempted its Sao Paulo 
US/multilateral compromise. So when Mike Roberts accurately described 
the States' (every State) e-hysteresis, it was clear that the time 
was ripe for pressing for a change in the general paradigm from 
"super user BUG" ("being unilaterally global") to "informed, capable, 
intelligent users". I.e. from decentralized hierarchy to MS 
heterarchy. From a single INTERNIC to the VGNICSystem. From 
interconnected posix to netix. It may take time, but this cannot be 
changed. ICANN is a VGNIC among others that (will) document their 
vision of the catenet and of its addresses and connected systems.

The first impact is that I can probably drop my appeal at ISOC 
against RFC 6852. My opposition to RFC 6852 is that its 
standardization process is not an MS process. A "superboard" concept 
is implemented: a 5 head hydra; but it is diluted. No one knows who 
the ultimate normalization referent is (except money, but how?). 
People, Govs, and industries lose control: an undefined economy takes 
the lead.

However, if MSism turns from being the core architectonic (computer, 
network, governance, languages, OS, etc.) paradigm of the 
standardization paradigm, my opposition drops. IUCG can then sign 
OpenStand after it has been updated (probably wholeheartedly) in 
order to read:

- "Respectful cooperation between standards organizations, [on a 
multistakeholderist basis] whereby each respects the autonomy, 
integrity, [area], processes, and intellectual property rules of the others."
- "contribute to the creation [and the service] of global 
communities, benefiting humanity"

Now, the whole thing depends on the machines' effilient running code 
and the users' positively accepted living mode. This will be tested 
through at least three experimental phases:

1. A zone mapping tool (EZOP: exploration de la zone primaire);
2. the HomeRoot system configuration. How to best support a DNS 
autonomous, sure, and secure service;
3. VGNICSystem governance and mutual servicing.

The discussion list is 
<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iucg>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iucg
The VGNICSystem is <http://vgnics.net/>http://vgnics.net

jfc

---

From: manning bill <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 15:21:59 -0800

Still more questions and based on a printed report, a serious lack of sustainable structure for such a grand vision as the VGNIC…

/bill
Neca eos omnes.  Deus suos agnoscet.

On 25February2014Tuesday, at 10:21, JFC Morfin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> - we will discuss some practicalities, at a Free ISP monthly members meeting in France, probably next week.

	URL for the meeting, venue, participants, program?

> - then http://doodle.com/u9wnrr3quz3f8fmy on March 11 in Paris, the day after the French IGF. 

	again, URL for this meeting, its venue, participants, and program would be most helpful

> - the target is to prepare a coordinated/concerted project at the IUCG OpenCamp during the Montpellier (France) FLOSS RMLL meeting, during the second week of July.

	Google shows a disconnected history of the FLOSS RMLL meetings, with sporadic reporting going back at least six years.   RMLL (Rencontres Mondiales du Logiciel Libre) report
	from 2013 reads:

	RMLL 2013 Report
Blog post by mmu_man on Mon, 2013-07-15 23:23  lsm, rmll
This year, the RMLL (Rencontres Mondiales du Logiciel Libre) / LSM (Libre Software Meeting) were held in Brussels, in the very same place where FOSDEM is held every year, although not by the same team.

The trip to RMLL is usually by itself full of surprises. This time, I took the train to Paris on friday evening, since a friend from April (a french Free Software advocacy association) was kind enough to let me have a couch for the night before car-sharing to Brussels. However, I didn't have his full address, only the metro station, and of course when I arrived there, calling his phone wouldn't ring him at all. Luckily enough i still had some battery left on the laptop and found a hotspot I could use to log on IRC and ping him so he could phone me and direct me to his flat. Then on saturday after having left Paris to pick up some others in Lille, he noticed he forgot his wallet at home, so I would have to lend him some cash. We found the others and went to Brussels, straight to the "Place de la monnaie" in the town center, where the General Public Weekend was taking place, only to be told we had to go to the ULB (Université Libre de Bruxelles) to get our vouchers for the youth hostel and camping. So we went there, then to the camping where we left the car, then back to the Libre Village. You see these stories make for some nice introduction ;-)

The few booths there for the weekend were targeted to the general public, with FLOSS advocacy groups and educational projects.

---

From: Elisabeth Blanconil <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 04:01:48 +0100

??
Dear Bill,
I am not sure I understand this mail of yours.

At 00:21 26/02/2014, manning bill wrote:
>Still more questions and based on a printed report,

Which printed report?

>a serious lack of sustainable structure for such a grand vision as the VGNIC…

Grand vision? hmmmm.
It seems that you confuse with ICANN. In the IETF 
the idea is running code, at the IUCG it is living mode.
What we want to experiment first is the adequate 
size and vision for the modest task of common 
secretariat which is required and its necessary tools.

When considering the ICANN's myriad of tasks our 
option is "Neca eos omnes. Usores ilos agnoscent."

> > - then http://doodle.com/u9wnrr3quz3f8fmy on 
> March 11 in Paris, the day after the French IGF.
>      again, URL for this meeting, its venue, 
> participants, and program would be most helpful

?? you got it.

> > - the target is to prepare a 
> coordinated/concerted project at the IUCG 
> OpenCamp during the Montpellier (France) FLOSS 
> RMLL meeting, during the second week of July.
>Google shows a disconnected history of the FLOSS 
>RMLL meetings, with sporadic reporting going 
>back at least six years.   RMLL (Rencontres 
>Mondiales du Logiciel Libre) report from 2013 reads:

?? JFC told you "during". It will be an IUCG 
meeting at our place when plenty of people will 
be around or on the beach.Nothing is decided yet. 
This will be discussed among organizers.during 
the next months. We are more interested in 
serious explorations and good working tools than in press releases.

Best.
Hebe